Someone Moved my Forehead Up and Down Right After I Had Botox Injections- Did I Damage My Results?

I was always told that you should not move your forehead, put your head down for 4 hours or go to sleep after botox. I know have a droopy eyelid. Could this be because an assistant moved my forehead up and down.

Botox should not diffuse just by moving your forehead

+1

Botox should not diffuse to different areas and cause a droopy eyebrow or eyelid just by moving your forehead. I have always allowed my patients to bend their head at the neck to read and type but I ask that they don't bend at the waist. The placement of the botox might be the critical issue.

Moving forehead after Botox treatment

+1

Massage of Botox treated areas is usually avoided, but your forehead movement is unlikely to effect your Botox outcome.  I request patients move the treated areas for 60 minutes following treatment to allow the Botox protein to interact properly with the treated muscle groups.

Melanie D. Palm, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Did Moving my Forehead Affect my Botox?

+1

Hi Michelle.  While there are standard precautions to take after a Botox injection, in most cases those precautions will not affect your results.  

It's highly unlikely that anyone moving your forehead around would have affected the placement of the Botox and it's much more likely that the droopy eyebrow is related to poor placement of the product rather than the massage or movement.  You should go back to your injector to talk about the ptosis (droopy eyelid). Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Hoax

+1

Facial or muscle movements will not have an effect on Botox or Dysport. Both are absorbed by muscles almost immediately, so spread of these products is not increased and their effectiveness is not reduced. If you are into yoga and want to do headstands after treatment, go for it!

Adam J. Cohen, MD
Skokie Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

Not at all.  The Botox is absorbed my the muscle within minutes of being injected and wouldn't move around from someone moving your forehead skin up, down or sideways.

Urban myth

+1

This is horse pucky.  Move your face, don't move your face.  It will not have an effect on your Botox treatment.  If you have a droopy eyelid after a Botox service, it is because your doctor injected you in such a way that they allowed the agent to drift into the eyelid.  Moving the forehead has no bearing on this.

Do not massage your face after Botox

+1

After you have a Botox treatment you should actively wrinkle your forehead because this will make your treatment more effective. 

You should not  massage your forehead immediately after Botox treatment  because you could cause migration of the Botox towards the lower forehead and eye muscles which could cause drooping,

Christina Steil, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Botox and post treatment activity.

+1

Have no worries about passive or active motion after Botox.  We doctors used to ask patients to animate after treatment.  Most feel that avoidance of excessive exercise for 24 hours is best.  Massage to the zone of treatment is not necessary, nor will it cause an issue.  No worries!

H. Michael Roark, MD

Botox results are not from touching your face

+1

Many of the items people are told to do or not do after Botox are simply silly. Moving your face does not matter. Lying down does not matter. Sleeping does not matter. Standing on your head will not matter. The injections are small and immediate. You shouldn't massage your face excessively, but you can touch it, lie down, or move it. It will not affect your results. If you have a droopy eyelid, that's from an injection done too low in the muscle. It's not because you or someone else moved your face. You need to determine if it's actually the eyelid that's droopy, or the eyebrow itself. If it's the eyebrow itself your injector (or another injector) may be able to alter that with a tiny bit more injected higher on the forehead. If it's the eyelid itself, you can get a prescription for eyedrops that will help combat the droopiness and lift it. But I'd suggest you contact your injector for a re-evaluation.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD