Can I Move the Perlane Myself if it's too High? (photo)

I just had Perlane yesterday for the first time to reduce nasolabial folds. Its too high on the right side - way up next to my nostrils. I may still be swollen but the filler is still too high on one side. Do I massage it downwards? Or wait 2 weeks to come back and have them do it like the nurse told me? I've read in this forum that it will respond better in the first few days, so I'm unsure what will happen to the shape if I try doing this myself or waiting too long. Thanks for info!

Perlane Injection...

+2

I would highly recommend you follow up with your provider if you are concerned with placement. They are more skilled and knowledgeable on what to do for you to obtain optimal results.  The area of concern for you, more than likely, is still a little swollen as well.  Give yourself a full week before following up.

Good luck.

Dr. Grant Stevens 

Perlane

+2

I would recommend that any manipulation of your Perlane injection should be performed by your physician. If you are concerned with placement, return back for an evaluation.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Can I Move the Perlane Myself if it's too High?

+2

I really like using Perlane and think that it's a great filler for facial shaping however, there's no inherent magic in Perlane or any filler.  The magic resides in the MD's ability to understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive face.    

If you think the Perlane has migrated above the nasolabial fold (NLF), contact the MD that did the facial shaping for specific instructions before manipulating the area yourself.  IMHO, aesthetically, some Perlane to augment and shape the cheeks is essential for creating a more youthful, naturally, attractive face...not just filling up the NLF's

As a patient, I wouldn't try to manipulate Perlane just after placement

+2

Even though sometimes it looks like the filler is placed in the wrong area just after the treatment, most likely this is due to some swelling and it should look good in a few days.  If after about a week to 10 days, you still think your filler is not placed correctly, then contact your caregiver and let them look at it.  I would not try to alter the position as a patient.  Usually this won't do anything except cause more swelling and perhaps, lessen the longevity of the product.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

I strongly discourage you from messing with it yourself.

+2

Filler for the nasolabial should extend right up to the nostril.  The next day it is entirely normal to look a little too full-call it bee stung.  This generally settles down in a few days.  Over fill can easily be adjusted by your injector.  Within about 1 week, yes product can be directly manipulated with appropriate force.  After this, enzyme may be needed to modify the treatment.

Adjusting/massaging filler

+2

In general you should not attempt to massage/move any filler yourself.

If you just had this procedure performed yesterday, there may be a significant amount of swelling to account for the uneven areas.  Many patients do not swell in a perfectly symmetric fashion.  

I recommend you call you doctor, express your concerns, and see if they can see you sooner than two weeks.  For right now, applying a cold compress to the puffy side will probably help.

In most cases, if the treated areas are truly not even (not just from swelling), this can be corrected with a substance to dissolve the filler at any time.   

Hope this helps!

Dana Correale, MD
New Haven Dermatologic Surgeon

Can I move the Perlane itself if it is too high?

+1

I would not recommend attempting to manipulate the filler on your own. This can lead to a poor outcome. It is something that should only be done by your physician. In addition, swelling is still present on day two and can influence the appearance of your nasolabial folds.  I would recommend contacting your physician and having him or her examine you. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Follow up after Perlane injections

+1

I'd allow time for the swelling to come down, minimally a week. Then follow up with the provider as they recommended - they'll be able to assess for proper placement and be able to determine what you may or may not need at that point.

Sam Naficy, MD

Perlane should not be manipulated by you

+1

You probably have swelling from your injections but do not touch it yourself.  You can displace it or cause an infection.  Return to your doctor for assessment. 

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Perlane Positioning

+1

Consult the injector if you have concerns about placement. The injector may direct you on how to manipulate the filler although most likely the injector would prefer to do the manipulation himself/herself.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS