I'm 5'6 145lbs & have a wide chest. Need help deciding between 370 & 435cc HP high cohesive silicone gel implants (photo)

Have booked a breast lift and augmentation. I lost a lot of breast volume when I stopped taking hormonal bc. I am athletic and muscular and an avid runner I want high and round breasts but not gigantic. My breasts are currently 12cm wide. Given the shape and type of implant I want I have to decide between a 370 or a 435cc implant. I am currently a large a or small b cup size. Would like to be a D, maybe a large D at most. Am going submuscular so I know I will lose some size because of that

Breast implant size when having lift and implants

+1
Thank you for your breast implant question.
  • As a rule of thumb, if you would be more unhappy if your breasts were too small after enlargement, go with the larger implant.
  • But which is best for you is something you need to decide - return to your plastic surgeon to try on sizers and discuss the pros and cons of the different implant profiles before making your decision.
  • If one of the implants is ultra-high profile, the look may not be natural. Best wishes.

Choosing Implant Size

+1
Determining breast implant size is a difficult task without doing a personal exam and appropriate measurements. It would be unfair to make recommendations based on a single, clothed picture and without meeting the patient in person. I would agree with the others comments in that choosing a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience is the first step. Make sure you are comfortable in talking with them, that their explanations as to size and type of lift are easily understandable and that the pictures they show you make you comfortable with the results you are striving to achieve.

Peter Klainer, MD, FACS
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Deciding on breast implant size

+1
As others have stated it is difficult to advise you without an in person examination and biometric measurements of your breast.  Generally speaking 200 cc of breast implants should increase you by 1 cup size in the brand and style of bra that you are currently wearing.

For more information on choosing breast implant size please read the following link:

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

+1
NO way to advise especially with clothed photo posted! Best to seek a few IN PERSON consultations with boarded PSs in your area. 

I'm 5'6 145lbs & have a wide chest. Need help deciding between 370 & 435cc HP high cohesive silicone gel implants

+1
This is a decision your surgeon should be making. Pick a surgeon you trust and communicate to him/her the size and general shape you are shooting for and let them make the surgical decisions. Allow the surgeon to use their experience and expertise to give you the result you ask for. You will be far happier with the results this way. You may not end up with an ideal result if you restrict your surgeon to using a particular size or implant type. Best of luck,  Dr Woodyard

Janet Woodyard, MD

Implant selection

+1
I think that you need to be seen in person to determine what the best implant is for you. Without the exam it is impossible to say.

Breast augmentation and implant choice

+1
Essentially you have to decide on which you surgeon you feel most comfortable with after your consultation, explanation of the procedure and your expectations.  If you are interested in traveling to Austin we would love to have you visit.  Give us a call!

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

+1
There are a few things for you to consider.

-Because you are a runner (which increases the rate at which your breasts are likely to sag after your surgery) going with the smaller 370cc implant may be to your advantage.  The breast lift will eliminate some of the excess skin so you do not need an overly large implant to fill out a large skin envelope the way you would if you were having an augmentation without a lift. The larger implants will definitely cause more of a gravitational pull on the breasts as they bounce with every stride you take when you are running.

-With highly-cohesive implants, the size  should be chosen based on the dimensions of your breast (such as width, height etc) rather than simply choosing an implant based on volume  (the way it has been done with round implants in the past).  If your breasts are currently wide then choosing a larger and wider implant would likely not be a problem. That is something to discuss carefully with your surgeon.  

-There are currently three brands of highly-cohesive implants available in the U.S. (shaped and round styles are available)  and they are all quite different.  Make sure you do your homework when choosing  the best implant for you.

David A. Caplin, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

+1
Thank you for the question. Ultimately, when it comes to selection of the best breast implant size/profile, careful measurements, dimensional planning, and careful communication will be key.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.  
2.  Again, have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or  "D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  The use of computer imaging may be very helpful during this communication phase.
3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.  The use of temporary intraoperative sizers, viewing the patient's breasts in the upright and supine position, are very helpful during the breast implant selection process.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Size of implant is the most important

+1
Need to be sure you talk to your surgeon in regards to the implant choice, the choice of size needs to be based on your desires, in my opinion the best way to find out which implant fits you better, is : trying the implant or some available breast sizers (Mentor corp). In regards to your choice of HP implants, usually I recommend those implant in patients with narrow chest, which you do not have.Be sure your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, if you want to be assure that your surgeon has a adequate cosmetic experience look at membership with the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
Good Luck

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon