How to Prepare for a Breast Aug?

I am a month away from my breast Aug and would like to know what are things physically, mentally, health wise I can do to prepare for this? What would make this easier or better? And what should I buy that will be much needed?

How To Prepare For a Breast Augmentation

+3

Congratulations on your decision to have a Breast Augmentation!  Most surgeons will have a list of pre-operative instructions such as avoiding blood thinning medications, herbal supplements, smoking, what clothing to wear to surgery, etc.  Make sure you check with him/her so you can follow their specific requirements.  Eat healthy and avoid any upper body pectoral workouts to keep your muscle loose before your surgery and make sure to follow your surgeon's Post-Op instructions as well.  Best of luck!

Irvine Plastic Surgeon

Preparing for breast augmentation

+2

Hi! Thank you for your question

I am Dr. Speron, a proud member of both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS).  I am also certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Prior to breast augmentation surgery, your board certified plastic surgeon may ask you to get lab testing or a medical evaluation. You will also need to take certain medications or adjust your current medications. Stop smoking 3 weeks prior to your surgery and 3 weeks after your surgery. Smoking will affect the healing process. You should also get a baseline mammogram before surgery and another one after surgery to help detect any future changes in your breast tissue.

Stop taking any blood-thinning medications at least two weeks before the surgery. These include aspirin-containing products, anti-inflammatories, and Vitamin E.

Wear comfy, loose clothes to your surgery. Make arrangements for someone to drive you to and from your procedure as well as a friend or relative to stay with you for the first 24 hours after your breast augmentation.

Make sure that you understand all instructions accompanying prescriptions from your surgeon. Additionally, be sure to fill all prescriptions before undergoing surgery, so that you will have them ready during your recovery period.

For specific instructions, consult with your plastic surgeon for further information

I have provided a  direct link for additional information as well as a lot of before and after pictures.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call us at 847.696.9900 for a private consultation.

Best of luck and have a great day!

Regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Preparing for breast augmentation

+2

Your surgeon should be able to provide extensive written instructions in order to help you prepare for your surgery. Ask him or her. In my office we provide a comprehensive packet which explains what foods to eat/avoid, medicines to take/avoid, what to wear to surgery, etc. This is an important part of your surgery.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Preparing for Breast Augmentation

+2

Below is a preparation list.  These are things to consider.

1. Continue to live a healthy lifestyle. Getting good rest, exercise and eating a balanced diet.  No smoking.

2.  Make sure that your expectations for the procedure have been understood.  This means discussing the procedure and possible outcome(s) until you have a complete understanding (comfort level)

3.Expect a bigger result initially that will somewhat decrease in fullness as the swelling subsides.

4. Expect some fleeting sensations in your breast has they heal

5. Follow your surgeon's after care instruction to the letter!

6. Hopefully expect a great outcome (NOT PERFECT)

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

How to Prepare for a Breast Aug?

+2

Just stay as fit and healthy as you can. If you are a smoker, stop. Your surgeon has presumably given you a list of medicines to avoid, most of which interfere with normal blood clotting (aspirin, motrin, etc.). 

Other than post-op medications, you should not need to purchase anything else. 

I would add that all surgeons have somewhat different routines for post-op care, and it is most appropriate to also ask this question to your surgeon. Best wishes for an uneventful recovery. 

Talk to your doctor

+2

You are paying good money for the surgery, get the advice from the surgeon who is doing it, if they don't answer your question sufficiently, get another doctor who will.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Preparing for Breast Augmentation

+1

Maintaining good protein intake with a well balanced diet both before and after surgery encourages the best healing environment.  If you are taking any medications, make sure they are OK to take.  Keep physical activity up before surgery, because you will have a period of several weeks following surgery wherein your activity will be restricted.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Breast Augmentation Yields Great Results with Little Prep!

+1

Congratulations on your decision to move forward as surgery is an important one.  Preparing for surgery is a large part of your surgery success.  Be sure to schedule a pre-operative visit with your plastic/cosmetic surgeon at least 2 weeks prior to your surgery date.  Your surgeon should calm you and answer all of your questions at this time.

Some tips include; avoiding aspirin & ibuprofen 3 weeks prior to surgery, remember to schedule a driver, have a caregiver in place for the first 24 hours after your surgery.  A soft smooth sports bra for compression will ease your comfort.  Good luck!

Mitchell F. Grasseschi, MD

Preparation for Breast Augmentation

+1

First and foremost, Relax!  If you are comfortable with your surgeon and have conveyed your expectations you should be fine.  Any lack of confidence in your surgeon or implant choice is a big red flag.  Eat well, sleep well, stop smoking at least a week before.  Moderate exercise is good, modest alcohol use is fine.  Enjoy the journey and Good Luck!

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Preparation

+1

These are things that you should go over with your surgeon.  Each surgeon may have different pre-operative instructions. 

They will probably provide you with a list of medications, herbals, vitamins and supplements to avoid as they may interfere with your normal clotting or anesthetic medications during surgery.  Your surgeon may also want you to have some blood tests done and even a mammogram depending on when your last one was done, your medical history and age. 

Please ask questions to your surgeon.  He or she should be informative and helpful in answering them. 

Brian Joseph MD FACS

Brian Joseph, MD