A hard lump appeared near the tip of my nose after Rhinoplasty. Is it cartilage/callous formation? How can it be removed?(photo)

Hello, I had a rhinoplasty carried out about 5 years ago. This lump was visible from the moment I took the bandages off. My doctor reassured me that it would disappear in time but it is still here! Please could you advise what the lump is and how it can be removed? Is it an easy operation? Thank you!

Hard Lump at Tip of the Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1
Hi,

This may be callous formation or ossification of the the tip cartilage. This can be removed either through an open or closed rhinoplasty.

Dr.S.

A hard lump appeared near the tip of my nose after Rhinoplasty. Is it cartilage/callous formation? How can it be removed?

+1
Residual cartilage of the lower lateral alar area. Best to seek IN PERSON opinions. ONLY surgery can improve... 

Nasal tip cartilage

+1
It could be nasal tip cartilage or a graft that was placed or displaced. An exam in person would be necessary and if you wanted this corrected, you would need a revision. Good luck.

Nasal tip

+1
It appears to be prominence of cartilage in the tip.  It would require revision to remove and reshape the cartilage to give a nicer appearing tip.  It is not a difficult operation.  In person examination would help ensure that it really is cartilage.   

Robert Glasgold, MD
East Brunswick Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lump in nose after rhinoplasty

+1
It is hard to know what that is without examining your nose and seeing the operative report.  However, if I had to guess, I would say that that is the end of the cartilage that comes from your tip out over the nostrils, called the lower lateral cartilage.  I bet you had a "closed" surgery where this cartilage was trimmed.  you have upwardly pointing tip cartilages (cephalically malpositioned) that probably deformed after they were trimmed.  Your tip cartilage is very convex.  If the cartilage is trimmed, it sometimes deforms due to changes in the internal stresses of the cartilage.  To fix this, you would need another surgery to flatten and strengthen this cartilage.  That assumes that what I'm guessing is correct, of course.  I am nearly positive that it will not improve by itself.  It is certainly not swelling at 5 years postop.  Good luck!

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal bossa

+1
It is protrusion of a cartilage. It can be easily corrected as an in office procedure. These usually happen over time but most likely it was there at the time of surgery but went unrecognized or the cartilage moved during the early post operative period i.e., before the splint was removed. 
Regards
Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Irregularity after rhinoplasty

+1
It is difficult to say what this is from, without knowing exactly was done in the procedure and what your nose looked like before.  If cartilage grafting was performed, the lump may be from the graft.  If so, it can often be removed.  However, it can be due to a wide variety of things.  It is important to personally consult with a board-certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty.  When you do so, it would be important to bring a copy of the operative report from the initial procedure.

Jarrod Little, MD