I have an upside down "Y" vein near the tip of my nose. It looks a little larger than a spider vein. Can laser therapy help?

I had a nose job (rhinoplasty) about 20 years ago. After the procedure and for many years thereafter, I had no problems. Recently, within the last 6 months, I have noticed a blue vein near the tip of my nose. It looks like an upside down "Y" and it looks larger than a normal spider vein. Can laser therapy help? What are the risks given the location of the vein? I am nervous because it is on the tip of my nose.

Can veins on the tip of the nose be treated with sclerotherapy or laser ? Buffalo Niagara, NY

Larger veins on the nose can be treated effectively with sclerotherapy.

Smaller veins (telangiectasias) on the nares are best treated with lasers - KTP 532 nm laser or 1064 nm ND YAG laser.

Other treatments that are less commonly used are IPL or RF for this area of the nose. 

Treatment of nasal veins.

Nasal veins can be treated by a number of ways including sclerotherapy, laser, IPL, microrneedle radio frequency and vein wave and VeinGogh.  All have pros and cons and most require several treatments.  A blue vein larger than a spider vein may respond well to sclerotherapy.  I see no risks to treating this vein.  You should see a vein specialist.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon