Motrin or Advil for Pain After Full Mommy Makeover?

Hi! I had my mommy makeover surgery Aug, 6, 2013 still in lots of pain as I've heard was normal, but Tylenol has never worked for me and I have avoided Motrin and Advil 8 weeks before surgery, its the only medication that actually ever worked for me, is it safe for me to take now? As I stated my surgery was August, 6,2013. I still have bruising and pain and swelling which again I've heard is normal, I would just like to see of its safe for me to finally take Motrin or Advil again? Thank you

NSAIDs after surgery

+1

This is a question you should ask your surgeon because opinions vary.   You are far enough away from your surgery, that in my opinion, its fine to take NSAIDs.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Motrin after surgery

+1

In general I prefer that my patients avoid ibuprofen for a couple of weeks following surgery.  It increases the risk of bleeding and bruising.

Motrin okay after mommy makeover.

+1

I permit my patients to take Motrin for pain after an abdominoplasty. However you need to follow the advice of your own surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,21-atlanta-abdominoplast.htm

When can I take Advil or Motrin

+1

I typically require patients to avoid Advil or Motrin 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after their surgery.  Every surgeon is different so make sure you authorize it with your surgeon prior to you taking anything not recommended.  ac

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Advil or Motrin After Mommy Makeover

+1

In general, the risk of bleeding is long past at 3 weeks post op.  Regardless, you should address this question to your Plastic Surgeon as he is the one guiding you to recovery. Best wishes!

+1

It is always better to check with your own surgeon, but any bleeding risk from ibuprofen is long past by three weeks.

All the best. 

Advil or Motrin Post Mommy Makeover

+1

Well practices do vary by surgeon!  And need to be adjusted for each patient.  In my practice we ask surgical patients to avoid Aspirin, Motrin, Advil, etc for 14 days prior to surgery.  For most patients we allow Advil or Motrin in the recovery room!  Exceptions would be for patients with a history of reflux, gastric bypass, intolerance of NSAIDs.  You should ask your surgeon if medically you can have Advil--for most patients the answer is yes.  Good luck!

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Use of Advil after an abdominoplasty

+1

I would allow my patients to take ibuprofen beginning 2 weeks after surgery.  Others may have their own opinion.  

NSAIDs after surgery

+1

You are hitting a topic with a whole lot of different opinions.  I am pretty liberal about the use of NSAIDS (advil, alleve, etc) after surgery and think they are very helpful for pain with minimal increased risk of bleeding.  I let my patients use NSAIDS starting two days after surgery. I realize I am a bit of an outlier, but have not had any issues. You should talk with your surgeon, but I would expect that after 3 weeks even the most conservative would be ok with you using NSAIDs

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

+1

Opinions vary with regard to Advil in the post op period and depending on the type of surgery. I think you are ok at this point with very little risk of bleeding. I usually avoid Advil for 1 week after surgery.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon