How Many Mothers of Multiples Opt for Mommy Makeovers?

Is it pretty unrealistic to assume that even with diet and exercise that a mother of triplets will ever loose the stretched out and sagging skin on the stomach? What procedure is done (mini tummy tuck or regular tummy tuck? or other?)

Although I don't find any published statistics on this question, I am confident that the majority of women that carry triplets will have stretched out the skin and muscle significantly enough that they will benefit from a tummy tuck.  Mini vs. full will depend on the findings of the physical exam.

For more information, please go to my website at:

Mommy makeover for MOM (mothers of multiples)

Most mothers of twins (me included!) benefit from abdominoplasty and I have a hard time imagining an abdomen that has carried triplets not needing some tightening of the skin and repositioning of the rectus muscles.  I also have a hard time imagining chasing after three toddlers! 

The effects of diet and exercise are limited in that they cannot 1.tighten lax skin, 2. move displaced rectus muscles or 3. remove stretch marks.

Abdominoplasty can do the first two and can remove the stretch marks that are in the area of resection.

Mommy makeover has one of the highest patient satisfaction rates of any surgery I do.

If you have surgery, make sure you have lots and lots of help lined up for at least 6 weeks.  You will be tired and restricted in your lifting. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Mommy makeover after triplets

There is no official published research on this topic, although it's certainly interesting! After having triplets, loose skin and separated abdominal muscles may be present, so much so that it negatively affects your body contour. Usually, a full tummy tuck is necessary since carrying triplets can make quite an impact on the body. 

However, it's really up to you to determine whether it's necessary to have a mommy makeover. Some women are happy with their body and find that exercise and diet are sufficient in improving their body shape after pregnancy.

Mommy makeover after delivering multiples

It is very common for mothers of multiples to seek plastic surgery (mommy makeover) following pregnancy and breast feeding to regain their pre pregnancy figure.  Pregnancy in general takes a toll on a woman's figure but the added stress of giving birth to multiples only intensifies the extent of the problem.  The abdominal muscle wall is stretched to the point that exercise and dieting cannot eliminate the sagging skin, stretch marks and abdominal wall diastasis.

The precise procedure performed would be determined when you schedule a consultation and exam with a board certified plastic surgeon.  The breasts may require augmentation or a breast lift.  The abdomen would most likely need a tummy tuck or mini tummy following a pregnancy with multiples.  Liposuction alone in most situations would not be enough to regain your figure.

Schedule a consultation and allow your surgeon to answer your questions.

Mommy Makeover Following Children

It’s not unusual for patients who have had multiple gestations to require mommy makeover surgery. In this group, significant changes occur in the breast, abdomen and flanks during pregnancy. These changes are especially severe in the abdomen, where extreme stretching of the muscles and skin is accompanied by stretch marks. In some cases, the midline muscles can actually separate forming a diastasis.

In women who have had triplets, it’s hard to imagine a scenario where the abdominal wall is not severely damaged. The vast majority of these patients will be unable to impact their abdomen with diet and exercise. In most cases a mommy makeover will be necessary to correct these changes.

If you’ve had multiple gestations and are concerned about your post-pregnancy changes, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to make an appropriate recommendation. 

Mommy makeover in Los Angeles

A mommy makeover can address multiple areas on the torso and breast that have changed after pregnancy. Mommy makeover can help you regain your body. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover is a common procedure.

Mommy makeover is a popular procedure for moms.  As you know, our body changes during the pregnancy.  Our abdominal skin stretches as does abdominal muscle.  With multiple pregnancy, your abdomen probably stretched out more than those with single pregnancy. Unfortunately, for most patients, no amount of exercise will get rid of excess skin or tighten the stretched out muscle.  Although I do not have a benefit of examining you, you will most likely need a full-tummy tuck.

Tummy tuck after having triplets

If you have loose skin and stretch marks after having had triplets, diet and exercise will not correct or improve the excess skin. The only definitive way to remove the loose skin and achieve a nice contour is by way of a tummy tuck. This will remove more skin than a mini-tummy tuck and also allow for tightening of the entire abdominal wall. The best time to have this done is when you have finished having all your children.  A board certified plastic surgeon can evaluate your abdomen and determine which procedure is best for you.

William Bruno, MD

Most mommy makeover patients have had more than one pregnancy

A mommy makeover is usually defined as some type of tummy tuck and some form cosmetic breast surgery.  The most common combination is a full tummy tuck and a breast augmentation and lift.  The majority of the women that eventually undergo a mommy makeover usually have had 2 or more children.  Twins or multiple at the same time tends to increase the chance of needing a body contouring procedure such as a tummy tuck.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy Tuck, Mommy Makeover, Breast Surgery

The abdominal muscles will stretch out tremendously during pregnancy, and each pregnancy will stretch out the abdomen more quickly.  The breasts will also sag and may either grow in size or greatly shrink in size.  A frequently performed combination for a mommy makeover will include a tummy tuck and some form of breast surgery  Both procedures may be done together as an outpatient, sparing the patient an extended stay in the hospital.