1 month post: Will the asymmetry eventually even out? I do have a icd implant on the left side (Photo)

Breast asymmetry one month after implants caused by ptosis

+1
Thank you for your email.  From your photograph it appears that you have ptosis or sagging of the right breast which causes the right nipple to be lower than the left.  This is the most noticeable asymmetry that I can see.  Unfortunately he will most likely need a lift on the right side.  Please discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

+1
Simple response is NO. Also the post op ptosis is of note in your case. Best to discuss with your surgeon in detail... Good Luck... 

Asymmetry 1 month after breast augmentation.

+1
Thanks for including  your photo, though it is impossible to ascertain any asymmetry in a patient whose arms are raised unless compared with similar photos with arms down (and no shadows obscuring the  areas we are inspecting for subtle signs of asymmetry). Have a close friend or partner take photos at about 5 feet distance with your arms at your side.

Actually, for 1 month post-op, I think this looks pretty good. Time, gravity, and scar maturation over the next 6 months (or longer, though the changes after 6 months are slight) will cause this appearance to likely change a fair amount. With proper "assistance" via elastic bandeau and supportive brassieres as directed by your surgeon, you will likely overcome any minor differences in appearance now and look quite good for the long term.

A couple of caveats are always in order here--
  • your breasts were not symmetrical before surgery, even if they looked pretty symmetrical to you. I hope your surgeon took measurements confirming this. Every woman has some degree of asymmetry pre-operatively, and this is usually not completely eliminated post-operatively. The more severe the asymmetry, however, the higher likelihood we can improve it.
  • Your surgery causes more bruising, swelling, scar softening, and dropping on one side than the other, even if "exactly" symmetrical procedures were done on each breast. I'm sure that since you heal EXACTLY symmetrically, your surgeon is equally PERFECT in how the operation was performed on each side! Doesn't that last sentence sound silly? Yet you are in a legion of patients who ask why their early, still-swollen, still-healing, scars-still-maturing breasts don't look exactly the same!
Your ICD really has little impact on any asymmetry you see now, but may still be visible after everything has completely healed and settled. But you need that device, and your pretty breasts will certainly be a distraction!

Please don't worry--what you see now appears quite normal and not bad at all! You should be seeing and talking to your surgeon regularly. I believe an elastic bandeau may be very worthwhile at this point in time. Ask your surgeon. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1
You need to to take the photo with your arms down.

In breast augmentation I have chosen to spend time reviewing photographs with patients to fully understand their expectation of size and shape. Many times this simply raises more questions. I will make measurements and use the implant guides to allow the patient to understand exactly the sizes that are reasonable for their body type and measurements.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS