Most Effective Resurfacing Laser for Neck and Chest?

After much struggle with this issue, I've been told that Pixel Laser is not strong enough for what I to achieve on my neck/ chest area. I'm not suffering from lax skin or pigmentation, just wrinkles that have resulted from excessive movement, which was related to a mental condition of tourettes/OCD. I desperately want to get rid of these wrinkles as they are almost like "scars" resulting from terrible mental/ physical suffering on my behalf. I'm only 21, and now am even embarassed to wear anything but a t-shirt. What laser will give me a safe and complete resurfacing for the part below my collarbone and up? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IPL or Fractional non-ablative Erbium laser resurfacing safest for neck and chest

+2
Standard flat beam laser resurfacing is dangerous on the neck and chest. The neck and chest do not have as many skin appendages as the face and skin appendages are required for healing. Slow healing on the neck and chest can lead to scarring and hypopigmentation.

IPL or Photofacial is very safe on the neck and chest and can remove pigment and vessels for skin rejuvenation.

However wrinkle removal requires deep new collagen formation. Fractional non-ablative 1540 Erbium laser resurfacing is effective for wrinkle removal and safe for the neck and chest.

Most effective laser for neck and chest

+1

The most effective laser for tightening, smoothing and reducing pigment on the neck and chest is one of the Microfractional CO2 Lasers. The energy must be turned down to not cause scars. It may take 2 or 3 treatments to get the best results. If you have dark eyes or tan easily, You should be on a 6% or higher Hydroquinone cream to prevent an increase in pigmentation and, of course, be on Suncreen SPF 60 or higher to "protect your investment". Make sure that you doctor is Board Certified in Dermatology or Plastic surgery and that they are the ones performing the procedure, not a nurse

Michael Tomcik, MD
San Ramon Dermatologist

Not all skin types will be candidates

+1

This is a very delicate area to treat and the skill of the doctor is imperative, so I recommend only a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist with a lot of laser experience in this region.

Not all skin types will be candidates and this region can have more risks of side effects when not appropriately treated.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

See a professional for a consultation first

+1

Unfortunately without a close examination of the appearance and palpable texture of the skin and dermis, it is impossible to say if a treatment could help. Do be careful with “laser” therapy on the chest as this skin doesn’t heal as well as facial skin and scarring does occur with resurfacing very rarely, but the risk does increase when the treatment is off the face. In fact, the energy settings are often less for this reason when the neck and chest are treated. You should see a dermatologic surgeon in consultation to see if laser, Portrait Plasma, subcision (breaking up the scarring attachment below the crease to help lift it up) and or filler injections could help.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Fractional ablative laser along with Botox

+1

I agree with Dr. Banda that a fractional ablative laser is your best bet. The tissues of the neck and chest are sensitive and tolerate less energy than tissues of the face. Typically 2-4 treatments will result in appreciable change. However, change in skin tension and elasticity will take several months to manifest.

With regards to your overactive neck muscles, Botox can be a temporizing answer. I do agree that selective neck muscle transection would work and is something often performed in children who have a disorder known as torticollis, when physical therapy does not work to correct tightness. You should inquire from a therapist if you would benefit from therapy to your neck.

I agree that lasers each have their proponents. We use an Active FX laser which is a carbon dioxide fractional laser. Our patients are happy and visibly see results in a short time. Downtime is typically one week. Just do your research and you should do fine.

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon