Can I Reduce my Implants From 325CC to 250CC if the Pocket is not Made Smaller?

6 Mos. Ago I Had 325 Hi Profile Smooth Mentor Sil. Implants Put in Behind the Muscle. I'd like to reduce the implants to 250cc. My Dr. recommends not going below 300 cc because the implant will fall to the bottom of the 325 cc pocket made and when asked if the pocket could be made smaller the Dr. indicated that pockets made smaller never really work. Is going to a 250 cc implant (same profile) recommended if the 325 cc pocket is not made smaller? Moderate plus is not rec. given my small frame. Hi Profile sizes: 325cc dia=11.4cm 300cc dia=11.1 275cc dia=10.8 250cc dia=10.5

Revision Breast Surgery

+1

Clear communication with your plastic surgeon is important in achieving the desired goals of the patient.  I like to communicate with patients with “goal” pictures.  During surgery, I use temporary sizers to determine the size/profile that will give the patient the look she is looking for. Trying to predict the size of the implant preoperatively is not ideal.  I think it is too much responsibility for the patient to choose the size of the implant.  Ideally, the surgeon would make that determination once he/she is in the operating room with sizers in and examining the patient in the upright and supine position.  There are many variables that come into play when choosing the correct implant size (how much breast tissue the patient currently has, the shape of the chest wall (concave vs. convex), etc..  Some places have you put bags of rice or implants in your bra – that is normally not very accurate.

Capsulorrhaphy (internal sutures) may be useful for pocket correction but it does carry its own set of risks and complications including asymmetry, failure of the capsulorrhaphy, and possible need for further surgery.  Assuming that you have a confidence in your surgeon, you may want to allow him to decide intra-operatively once you have clearly communicated your goals with him.

+1

Without an in person examination very hard to advise. But the 75 cc's and 0.9 cm diameter difference is REALLY little. Please be sure you wish to have this decrease. To me it sounds too little. 

Considering reducing breast implant size

+1

You indicated that you wanted to reduce your implant size from 325cc down to 250cc but did not offer why you wanted the smaller size nor why the 250cc was selected. Are the present implants too large? Too projecting? Too wide? Extending too high?

Answers to these questions will help determine what would be the most prudent choice for you. For example, if you felt that they were too projecting, then a similar width moderate profile plus 250cc implant would be a good consideration as it would project a significant 1.2 cm less. If the width were a problem, then maybe going down to a 250cc or 275cc high profile implant would be better options.

Understanding your reasoning and examining you would be mandatory in order to provide you with prudent advice.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast Implant Exchange for Smaller Implants

+1

Dear Kenzie44 in Basalt, CO:

What to do depends on why you want smaller implants. Links and video included under "more" below.

If your current implants are too wide, then keeping with high profile breast implants will maximize the reduction in width. This will also, however, decrease the upper pole fullness of the breast, and require closing the pocket laterally which may stretch out again.

If you are happy with the width, but your breast are too big (too much projection forwards), then switching to a lower profile may be a better choice. The diameter can be maintained to maintain width and upper pole fullness as much as is possible, and the projection can be reduced.

I would agree with the other opinions expressed here.  I would suggest being very clear with your surgeon about which dimension(s) you are most concerned with reducing, and there is a "textbook" advantage to waiting a year before revising your breast augmentation. Your plastic surgeon has the best information with which to form the best plan for you. If you are still unsure, consider obtaining a second opinion in your area, as a proper examination is a key to success.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Switch implants to smaller size

+1
If you switch the implants to the 250cc size, the pocket does not need to be reduced. It will gradually shrink around the new smaller implant. However, your surgeon is correct in pointing out that you will lose superior fullness of the breast to a considerable degree. A 325cc implant is actually a moderate size and is the most common size I use. This size works well for most women. However, switching to a smaller implant is quite simple to do, if that is your ultimate decision.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Recommend new pockets for new implants

+1

It is difficult to reduce the size of the pockets once they have been created and implants have been placed inside of them.  Often the pockets will shrink in size with smaller implants.  However, it is impossible to say what your breasts will look like without seeing any pictures.  I would recommend for best results if you want to go with smaller implants is to change the placement of the pockets.  If you have submuscular pockets now, I would consider removing the old implants and dissecting new subglandular pockets for the new, smaller implants.

James Tang, MD

+1

Without seeing photos of your breasts, it is difficult to commit to an answer.  It is possible, but if your implants are already a bit low on the breast, then it would certainly be a mistake.  I disagree with your assumption though that moderate plus implants are not an option for your frame; if you currently have HP and the diameter is 11.4cm, then if you change to 250cc moderate plus, the diameter will be 11.3cm, and I would say that this would be IDEAL for you, that way you would not need to revise the pocket.  Revisit this option with your surgeon.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Reducing Implant Size and Implant Pockets

+1

Hard question to answer without the ability to examine you.  In general, the pocket may be too large for a smaller implant and it may not look right unless you make the pocket smaller.  The pocket can be made smaller with various techniques but it is generally harder to make a pocket smaller than it is to make it larger.  I would recommend waiting another 6 months before commiting to further surgery.  Keep in mind that going from a 325 to a 250 is almost a cm difference which is significant in breast aesthetics.  Good luck.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon