Morphing Photos Before Rhinoplasty Surgery?

Can we plan a plastic surgery to the nose through the programme of morphing or morpheus photo morpher or does this sound totally unscientific? Yours sincerely,Theodora.

Computer imaging and rhinoplasty

+2

Computer imaging is something that is offered bvy some surgeons. I do not offer it. I think that it is difficult to guarantee the result from the image and patients think that is exactly what they are going to get.  In many cases a similar result can be achieved but  not always.  Go to a good surgeon with good consistent results.

Morphing photos for rhinoplasty

+2

Many doctors use computer imaging to help their discussing rhinoplasty surgeons. I prefer to draw on photos taken of the patient on the day of consultation. It doesn't really matter. What is most important is to realize that whatever is drawn or morphed is only a guide towards a desired result. Surgery is much more complicated and you should not believe that whatever is morphed can be achieved. It is best to have your surgeon show you photo examples of previous patients who had similar issues as you. Get an idea of the quality of his/her results and then trust their recommendations.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Photo morphing for rhinoplasty

+2

Computer imaging is very helpful in planning rhinoplasty and can allow you to 'try out' changes beforehand. The photos help reduce the uncertainty of 'making the tip smaller' and other ambiguous descriptions of the goals of surgery. Morphing, or blending from one photo to another also can help demonstrate the subtle changes in rhinoplasty. The better the understanding between you and your surgeon, the better the result.

peterejohnsonmd

Pre-operative Morphing

+2

I have been using computer imaging for nearly 18 years.  The technology marches on and the imaging has gotten much easier.  I find that I can better demonstrate to the patient what would work and what would not work.   Patients can see the "morphed" appearnace of the nose in the consultaton.   Patients like to see what they can look like.   

It helps me plan their surgery.  I conservatively morph the photos.  The worse thing I can do is promise something that I cannot deliver.  

Pre-operative computer imaging has been beneficial in my practice.  I use it primarily for rhinoplasty patients.  I have seen the newer 3D morphing software.  It is good but very costly and doesn't really give that much more information than the current 2D software system that I have.  

I tell patients that I use this as a tool to demonstrate what a post-operative appearance could look like.  I make no promises with the software.   I like the software.   The patients like the presentation.  I use it predominantly as a learning tool.   In the operating room, I perform the surgery that is best for the patient.  I do not rely upon the computer generated image.   What exists on the computer monitor does not exactly occur in the real surgical world.   Patients understand this.  

As stated eariler, I have used this tool successfully for the past 17 years.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Morphing Pictures before Surgery

+2

To answer the question "is altering a photograph completely unscientific?" I would say no. I think it is very helpful to make sure I understand exactly what the patient wants and so the patient can have realistic expectations, but you have to be cautious.

Many people that come to see me for nose surgery, want their nose morphed prior to surgery. I will often take a photo of the person and alter the photo to what I think I can reasonably achieve with surgery. Often more dramatic changes than I have shown them are asked for. The caution I give is that it is much easier to change a photo on the computer than to change the nose during surgery. So photo alteration is helpful to make sure surgeon and patient are on the same page. Good luck with your surgery!

Benjamin Dunkley, DO
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Computerized Photomorphing for Rhinoplasty Results

+1

I have been photo morphing for over 15 years and find it an invaluable communication and surgical planning  tool.  While I make it clear that photo morphing is not a guarantee of results, it does allow us to look at several options and, more importantly, to show how excessive surgery is not favorable, and to demonstrate the limitations of rhinoplasty.  Your surgeon should be the one that does the photo morphing for rhinoplasty, or at least review it should others in the office perform the photo morphing. 

Philip Miller, MD

Computerized Video Imaging in Rhinoplasty is Educational

+1

I have used computerized video imaging during rhinoplasty as an educational tool for years. The images created are simulations that are very helpful in educating each patient about their particular issues. The images are not a guarantee of results, but a way of having a "visual" conversation about any proposed changes in the nose shape through surgery. Combined with before and after photographs of my past patients after rhinoplasty, and other educational information, video imaging is another additional source of information to know if rhinoplasty is right for you.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Video imaging is helpful to both patient and doctor

+1

Absolutely! I think a great way for a patient and a surgeon to evaluate whether they are on the same page is to do morphing before images to estimate what surgical results can be achieved. Video imaging allows the patient and the surgeon to view expected results and determine if they are on the same page. Most facial plastic surgeons have this ability and routinely do it before rhinoplasty surgery. 

Mark Hamilton, MD
Greenwood Facial Plastic Surgeon

Computer imaging for rhinoplasty

+1

Many rhinoplasty surgeons use software that can project what one might look kike after surgery.  This can be a nice tool for planning the operation.  Remember that it is easier to draw a line on the computer than surgically doing this on someones flesh.  Rhinoplasty can be difficult to get good consistent results as noses are a combination of tissues.  Best to see an experienced Rhinoplasty surgeon.  Bring in photos of what you might reasonably want.  Ask to see his before/after photos.  Together you can make a plan for a good result.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Is pre-rhinoplasty computer morphing a good idea?

+1

I find in office computer morphing with my patients to be immensely productive as it really allows us to determine what changes are desired and to what relative degree. There's no one aesthetic ideal so your preferences are what is important.

The keys to morphing are to be conservative with the changes, make sure the changes are realistic given the anatomy, and understand that no one can guarantee the results of the computer morphing.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD