Is This More Than Rippling? Cohesive Gel Breast Implants...

6 years ago in Medellin CO. In the last 2-3 years I've noticed rippling. Today I have felt something that I dont know I could categorize as rippling. My left implant is too rippled at the bottom-not smooth as the other. I dont feel pain, just discomfort in feeling this abnormality. So my question is, is this the expected rippling because it's been 6 + years or something more severe? I plan to replace in the U.S. (Carolinas).

Rippling Becomes Apparent with Tissue Thinning

+1

Rippling does tend to become apparent with tissue thinning and occurs with time following implant placement. Changing implants may be reasonable.  Adding a dermal matrix or fat grafting may help as well.

Rippling in breast implants

+1

Rippling and wrinkling happen when the skin and breast tissue over an implant become thin enough that you can see and feel the implant.  You may need implant repositioning (from above to below muscle, if they're not already below the muscle) or you may need ADM (acellular dermal matrix, like Surgimend) or fat grafting for increased coverage over your implants. Be sure to see a board-certified plastic surgeon who does a lot of implant revision surgeries.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Rippling

+1

Like everyone else, I will tell you I can't answer your question without examining you, but I would ask you a question. Have you experienced significant weight loss? If you did not have rippling before, but you do now, then one has to wonder why, and the most common answer is weight loss. If you have not lost weight, then it may not be common rippling.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Rippling in cohesive gel implants

+1

Rippling occurs with folds in the implant seen through a thin skin envelope. It is best to be exained in person to evaluate this properly.

Rippling with Cohesive Gel Implants

+1

Hi! Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Speron, a proud member of both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS).  I am also certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Rippling of breast implants is when you see folds or wrinkles of the breast implant through the skin. They are usually seen on the bottom or sides but sometimes in the middle, near the cleavage as well.

There can be several causes to the ripples that you can see in the breast, but surprising, not all are related to breast implants. There are some ripples or wrinkles of the breast that we call “Traction Rippling” and this can be seen with any type of implant and even in breasts that do not have implants. Other causes are from the implant itself. Breast Implants are silicone rubber sacs filled with fluid or gel. And like any baggy filled with fluid, there is a chance that it can ripple or wrinkle as the fluid causes folds to appear.

Fluid can be added to saline implants, or capsules can be adjusted to hold the implant just a bit tighter, so with fewer wrinkles. Changing Breast Implant size and shape can sometimes help as well.I suggest that you consult with your Plastic Surgeon.

I have provided a direct link below for additional information as well as a lot of before and after pictures.If you have any further questions, please feel free to call us at 847.696.9900 for a private consultation.

Best of luck and have a great day!

Regards,
Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Rippling with silicone implants

+1

Over time, implants can ripple and even fold in some areas.  A fold feels more "pointy" than a ripple, but can be easily pressed in.  If implants fold, their shells become weak in that area and have a higher chance of leaking.  A good physical examination by an experienced plastic surgeon should be able to give you a diagnosis without having to resort to x-rays or ultrasound evaluations.  Hope this helps.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Rippling of Cohesive Gel Implants

+1

This may be due to capsular contraction or even rupture of the implant. An exam and radiographic studies will help to show what is going on. Last resort is surgery and implant exchange would be appropriate. Best of Luck   Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Is This More Than Rippling?

+1

Ripples, folds in the implant, are diagnoses by palpation, unless they are also visible. They are quite common. Without the benefit of an exam, I hesitate to comment. An experienced surgeon can answer this at the time of an in person exam.

Thanks, best wishes.