More Than One Procedure, Such as TT with Lipo, Safe or Unsafe?

Hi, I am 29 years of age and have two children. In no way possible am I planning to have any more. I've decided to have a TT and lipo of the lower back and flanks. As of now I am 232lbs. I've recently lost 20lbs and am determined to lose 30 more. I just wanted to know if this combination is a safe one and what extra precaution could I use, to have a safe surgery.

Yes, tummy tuck and liposuction can be performed safely together.

+1

Your best precaution to have safe surgery is to get your weight down.  It is a significant risk factorfor complications with tummy tuck with or without liposuction. These risk factors include blood clots, wound healing problems, infection, and poor cosmetic result to name a few.

Discuss these and all other details with your plastic surgeon before proceeding.

TT and lipo

+1

This can be a safe procedure to do together, as long as the volume of liposuction is not excessive.

Also, there are some studies that show an increased surgical and anesthesia complication rate when the patient's weight is in excess of 200 lbs - so I would encourage you to keep going with your weight loss to get under this number, so you have a safer procedure.

Good luck!

Thomas Fiala, MD

Can I have a tummy tuck and liposuction together? Help!

+1

performative abdominoplasty with concurrent liposuction is not only safe impossible to sit with Gileadites to the aesthetic final outcome. This is a procedure that has been published by our group and many others across the world and the safety is been clearly documented over the last 15 years. The combination allows for greater thinning of the final thickness of the fat achieving a enhanced and improved final outcome. Their special techniques that need to be followed to ensure safety but has been performed many many times in the United States and elsewhere with consistently excellent results. We highlight this in my textbook the Atlas of the Brownell plastique and can be seen in many articles we published as well as others. Best wishes good luck – Dr. Joseph Hunstad

Joseph Hunstad, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Combining liposuction with a tummy tuck

+1
Combining a tummy tuck with flank and back liposuction is considered safe and is actually preferred to better contour the abdomen. Ideally however it is best to lose the weight first then have the surgery to achieve a better result. Best of luck!

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Combined procedures are safe

+1

While in the past surgeons were concerned that combining a tummy tuck and liposuction could increase risk of complications, today we know that that is not the case.  Most surgeons today perform a tummy tuck and liposuction at the same time.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Tummy tuck and liposuction is safe

+1

Most board certified plastic surgeons perform abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) with some liposuction as long as you are healthy. You certainly want to lose as much weight as you are planning before you proceed to give you optimum results.

Donna Rich, MD

+1

The combination is usually safe but depends to a great deal on the patient's health. You gave your weight at 232# but not your height. That makes a huge difference. Make sure you get down to a BMI of less than 30 to have good and safer results.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy tuck and lipo together.

+1

I believe combining abdominoplasty with lipo of the flanks is a good and safe procedure.  I would caution you, however, to lose all of the weight you plan on losing before the procedure.  This will not only lead to a better and longer-lasting result, but probably is safer as well.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Safety of combination procedure

+1
FIrst, I encourage you to reach and maintain your optimal weight prior to undergoing surgery. In terms of abdominal liposuction and tummy tuck, too mch liposuction can affect the blood supply to the abdomen and increase the complication rate so this must be undertaken judiciously. In terms of turning a patient during the surgery, this does carry an anesthesia risk. It is important to have your procedure in an accredited facility with a board certified anesthesiologist.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Lipo Abdominoplasty...

+1

Hello, it is indeed safe to have both procedures done at the same time if you are cleared by your surgeon/primary care physician to do so. Lipoabdominoplasty, is a new technique in tummy tuck surgery.  This procedure has a lower complication rate and faster recovery time than the traditional tummy tuck.  This technique combines liposuction and various tummy tuck practices in order to reduce the amount of surgical trauma and dissection necessary to acheive beautiful results.  Additionally, with liposuction tummy tuck, a dense layer of lower abdominal wall connective tissue, Scarpa's fascia, is left intact.  Preservation of these natural tissues during liposuction tummy tuck provides patients with a faster recovery time, fewer days with drains in place, lower incidence of blood and fluid collections, and less risk of tissue loss.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in performing this surgery.  

Jaime Perez, MD