More Swelling at Day 7 Than at Day 4

I had lipo suction on my chin and neck 7 days ago.I wore the compression garment for 4 continuous days. When I had a follow up with my doctor, he had to aspirate fluid that had pooled in a roll across my neck. The nurse had positioned my garment incorrectly which prevented the fluid from being dispursed.The garment was then positioned correctly by the doctor, however I have more swelling today at day 7 than I had at day 4 after the aspiration of the fluid. Is the garment causing swelling?

Swelling following Liposuction can vary early on.

+1

Although possible if the garment is applied incorrectly, your elastic garment is most likely not the cause of your swelling. Edema, or serum can collect transiently after liposuction but resolves on its own..Swelling following Liposuction can vary early on - for example if you eat salty foods early on, exercise or do not keep your head elevated this can make it transiently worse.

There are many predictable portions of the healing process that ALL PATIENTS EXPERIENCE after liposuction. Temporary areas of firmness (lumps) can be seen early on but usually resolve on their own. Although both doctor and patients would like to not have this happen, it is part of the healing process. These Side effects refer to what you will be experiencing from the healing process: Here are some of the common things you will experience. The common side effects include: swelling which is maximum 2-3 days later, bruising (highly variable), numbness which takes several months to resolve,  tightness takes several days to months to resolve, discomfort (generally mild with this surgery, nausea (variable) and in some patients emotional lability in some. Although most of the visible edema resolves in 2-3 weeks in mini-lifts and 3-4 weeks in traditional facelift approaches, residual firmness (edema you feel but don’t see) can linger for several months. Skin suppleness also takes a while to return as does scar maturation. I tell my patients it takes up to a year for final resolution of the healing process. A chin strap often hastens recovery after neck/submental chin liposuction. In my experience, the above rough time table is usually delayed in smokers, when multiple procedures are performed together and when resurfacing procedures are done at the same time as the lift. The same is true if complications occur such as infection, hematoma, skin loss or compromise, etc

Lipo of chin and neck. More swelling day 7 than 4.

+1

The current garment is most likely not the cause of your swelling.  A collection of serum can occur after liposuction.  The garment usually will help prevent/treat this.  It should give compression.  The idea is to have the skin attach to the underlying structures.  Sometimes the fluid will appear anyway, and needs to be aspirated.  Make sure your plastic surgeon knows what is going on.  Together you will get through this with the best result possible.

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/procedures/liposuction

Seroma after liposuction of chin can come back.

+1

Hi.

If you are more swollen now, you might have fluid again. A sonogram will detect that.  If there is fluid, it is very important to aspirate it, to prevent a chronic deformity.