Should I Have More Pain at the Drainage Sites After Drainage Have Been Removed Than the Scar Itself?

My doctor sent me home to the shower after removing a 6-day dressing w/o using antiseptic. There was a definite odour at the time. Now three days later the drainage sites still hurt more than the scar. Is that normal, or could I have an infection?

+1

Dear Consultingothers,

Thank you for your post.  It is normal that the drain sites hurt more and burn.  this has been a technically 'open' wound this whole time.  However, if there is expanding redness, warmth, and pain, then this is cause for concern.  Continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon and follow their directions.

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1

Although it is possible to have more pain at the recently manipulated drain site, this in itself is not a sign of infection. This question will only be answered after a discussion and possible office visit with your surgeon. All the best. 

Drainage tube pain

+1

It is possible to have more pain at the sites where drain tubes once were.  In fact, most patients complain about the and knowing events and pain associated with drainage tubes compared with a surgical incision.  Please follow the directions of your plastic surgeon very closely and relay your concerns.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Drains

+1

a good question for your surgeon....the internet is a good place to obtain general information, purchase products, brief communications,etc.   specific medical questions should be directed to the treating physician.

Harlan Pollock, MD