What Can Be Done to Look More Natural and Relax the Facial Muscles of a Facelift and Fat Grafting Procedure Done 10 Days Ago?

I am 50 and now look 20 after having a short incision facelift, fat grafting and browlift just 2 weeks ago. I know I am still swollen and my face tight muscles are tight, but didn't want to look so young for my age and will be with family and friends in a month and didn't want anyone to know about the facelift. Is there anything I can do to help speed up the relaxation of the facial muscles so that I don't look so young?

Swelling After Facelift

+1

It is a matter of time to allow for normal healing and swelling especially with facial fat augmentation. It may take 3-4 weeks for much of the shaping to occur or look natural, especially if you had a true “Lift & Fill” facelift.

After 6 Weeks How Much Swelling in A Facelift

+1

After 6 weeks, there should be very little swelling after a facelift and fat grafting.  However, everyone heals differently.

Tightness after facelift

+1

Thank you for the question. It sounds like you have had an excellent result so far. It is normal to have some tightness 2 weeks after your facelift. This will relax and soften nicely over the next couple of weeks. Over time, it will look more subtle and natural, and feel better as well. I suspect that before you see your friends and family in a month, you will be looking great. Try to be patient and enjoy your refreshed look.

Jeff Rockmore 

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Patience, there will be many changes in the next month and beyond

+1
Hello, Thank you for your question. I suspect you are describing both swelling and tightness. Over the next month the swelling will go down a lot, some of the tightness will relax, and some of the fat grafting will be resorbed. There is nothing for you to do other thank treat your body well, keep your head elevated and wait. All the best, Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Too young after a facelift

+1

Scruffles,

It seems you are doing just fine after your procedures. This is normal and after the swelling subsides and the tissues relax, you will look normal. This is not a time to stress about family. Relax and enjoy your recovery.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Facelift

+1

Fat grafting combined with facelifting can both enhance the final result and contribute to prolonged post-operative swelling.  The swelling from the fat grafting can create a 'tight' or swollen appearance.  Fortunately the majority of the swelling should be gone in a month prior to your visit with family.

Jill Hessler, MD
Palo Alto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Looking Natural After A Facelift

+1

That's great that your facelift and fat grafting procedure took so many years off your look. Please know that ten days is too soon to judge the final results of your procedure and definitely too soon to consider additional procedures to change how you look.  I would encourage you to discuss your thoughts with your surgeon.  After a few more weeks, you might be a candidate for a facial or massage that might make your face feel more relaxed. 

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Natural look after facelift

+1

It is very important to be patient at this point. Likely, you still have a large amount of swelling after your procedures. This swelling will accentuate the "tightness" you are referring to. Aggressive skin-care regimens or topical medications may make this worse. Gentle massage and patience are the best things at this point. As always, it is important that you discuss your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon in-person.

Jarrod Little, MD

Looking too young after a facelift is a good problem.

+1

Hi.

Almost certainly, things will relax soon enough after your facelift.  You don't want them to relax too much.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

How to fix an overly effective facelift

+1

Immediately after facelift or browlift there is a great deal of swelling that tends to enhance the result. The usual problem is dealing with the disappointment of patients once the swelling goes down. They often mistakenly think that they are going all the way back to how they looked before surgery. You sound like you have had an xemplary procedure and in a couple of weeks you will be delighted by the outcome. Consult your Doctor and express your concerns but, please, do nothing to interfere with the normal healing process!

J. Brian Boyd, MD