How Many More Months to Wait for Pregnancy Post-TT? (photo)

I am 8 months post abdominoplasty following 100lbs weight loss. I did the tuck thinking more children would be many years down the road. However, I am in a happy, stable relationship, and have recently started feeling overwhelming urges to have children again! How much longer do I need to wait, at a minimum, to have the safest pregnancy possible? I included a pic of my 6mo post tuck stomach, to get an idea of my healing thus far.

How Many More Months to Wait for Pregnancy Post #TummyTuck? (photo) ANS:

+3

I think what you are asking is how long after your TT should you wait to get pregnant, and you are now 8 months post-op...I think anytime would be fine and safe. There should be no reason you cannot have a very safe pregnancy and delivery...Your picture looks great and do us a favor...6 months after you deliver send us a pic of your tummy. So many people want to see if things do change!!!

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

There is not an absolutely right or wrong answer to your question

+3

Congrats on your weight loss and a fabulous tummy tuck result!

First, a normal pregnancy with a normal delivery of a healthy baby is very much possible after a tummy tuck.  After a pregnancy though, the tummy will require further tightening most likely.  

As for the time that is required before having a healthy pregnancy after tummy tucks, I do not know that this issue has every been studied scientifically.  I would consult your OB and your plastic surgeon and come up with a time frame as to when they think that a pregnancy would be ideal.

I will tell you that in my practice over the past 10 years, there was a young patient who had an unplanned pregnancy several weeks after a tummy tuck.  She went on to have a normal pregnancy and she delivered a healthy baby.  

Richard H. Lee, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy Post Tummy Tuck

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss and new contour!!!  

After massive weight loss, I think it is very appropriate to have a tummy tuck to remove excess skin and feel complete after the weight loss.   I do think it is now safe for you to proceed with pregnancy, but make sure your obstetrician is aware of your tummy tuck.   They need to follow you closely as the rectus muscle might not spread apart in its normal fashion after a tummy tuck.

After pregnancy, you can expect the same changes that your body would go through if you had not had a tummy tuck, such as looser muscle and skin.

Congratulations and I wish you all the best in pregnancy!!!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Pregnancy after "Tummy Tuck".

+2

You have a great "tummy tuck" result! Your result should be an encouragement to anyone working at losing weight to imrove the way they look and feel!

Personally I have some reservations about pregnancy after "tummy tuck", also known as abdominoplasty. A women's body is designed to relax and stretch during pregnancy, to respond to the need of the baby for room to grow. Often during abdominoplasty a Plastic Surgeon will suture the edges of the abdominal rectus muscles together in the midline of the abdomen to enhance the flat contour of the abdomen. If this is done with permanent sutures then the natural spreading of the tissue between the rectus muscles may not occur, which could cause problems with your pregnancy and the natural growth of the baby.

I recommend that my patients talk to their OB-Gyn doctor before they consider pregnancy after "tummy tuck". Often my patients who do decide to become pregnant after "tummy tuck" are considered "high risk pregnancies" and are followed more closely.

Douglas Leppink, M.D.
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Revision tummy tuck after pregnancy

+2
First, congratulations on an amazing weight loss and an excellent surgical result. After pregnancy, it is important to get back to your optimal weight and to allow your body to recover from childbirth. I would recommend that you do not undergo any revision for at least six months after giving birth or while nursing.

Robert L. Kraft, MD