More information about voluma please

I was wondering if the RESULTS actually last 2 yrs as stated, those doctors outside of the USA specifically would be able to answer this as it has been used for a number of years there. Also with radiesse, I noticed it causes an over puffed up cheek appearance only when smiling, I was told by my cosmetic surgeon that voluma would not cause this because it is not as hard as radiesse, is this true. Also anymore info on this filler would be appreciated thanks!

Voluma duration

+2

Aluma has been FDA indicated for cheek augmentation. They say and report that it can last up to two years. This is based on studies that show that 2/3rds of patients other independent observers can still tell a difference at two years.  I enjoy using the product for cheek augmentation. I also use Perlane and Radiesse. Part of it as patient preference, or injector preference. They all provide nice cheek augmentation. I would definitely go to someone who is experienced in injecting this area of the face.  

How I choose which product is partially based on patient preference as well as what other areas of the face I am injecting. The one benefit of Perlane, Voluma or Juvederm is that these are all hyaluronic acids. This means that there is a possibility that you can reverse it with hyaluronidase should you obtain an undesirable result.  Good luck!

Voluma Longevity

+1
Voluma has been studied for many years around the world, and the results of the US clinical trials indicate longevity up to 2 years. Does that mean it is going to last 2 years in everyone? No. But in the pivotal US clinical work, a statistically significant amount of patients maintained correction at 2 years. This also has to do with the skill level of the doctor performing the injection, and those in the study were very skilled injectors. So make sure that your injector is skilled and is either a physician, or a provider with a physician on site. Remember, it is a new filler, and for most people there will be a learning curve with Voluma. If the injection if performed correctly, the volumizing effects are amazing. Radiesse is a harder filler, and if there is some puffing, it may have been injected too superficial – again, another indication of the injector. 

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma seems to last more than 2 years in most!

+1
The pivotal study (the one the FDA looks at when something gets approved) showed that as many as 75% of the more than 250 patients treated were still satisfied with their results at 24 months! That seems to tell me that these folks will have more than 2 years of effect from the initial treatment. Of course the 25% who wanted additional fill at 2 years must be considered. Overall I think it is a fair statement that you should get about 2 years out of your treatments, better than twice the time of other fillers, well worth it, don't you think?

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

How long does Voluma last?

+1
Thanks for your question.  Voluma has been FDA approved for 24 months of longevity because 2/3 of patients in their study were felt to still have close to 100% improvement in the mid-face area.  As with all things in medicine, you want to have realistic expectations.  In this case, know that there is a chance it may not last a full 24 months for you.  Instead, think that it will last 18-20 months which is still longer than any other filler on the market.  Voluma is softer than Radiesse but they each have their pluses and minuses.  I like to use Radiesse in individuals with moderate to severe mid facial wasting whereas Voluma works well in mild to moderate cases.  

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma can last 2 years and yields soft natural results

+1
The FDA study involved many highly respected doctors. In that study, 85% of patients felt their aesthetic improvement lasted at least 1 year and 67% for 2 years. Patients also were perceived as appearing younger for the same time period. Since it's placed deep, on the bone, there is little bunching as we used to see with other more superficial fillers.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Voluma 2 Years?

+1
The proof is in the pudding not in the trials. I don't think it will last two years. When any filler is overdone, it could look puffy. And yes, Voluma is not as hard as radiesse.

Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Voluma Lasts up to 2 Years

+1

Yes, in the FDA studies Voluma has been shown to last up to 2 years.  That does not mean that it last 2 years in every patient and it may last longer in some patients.  The cheekiness seen in some patients with any filler is mainly due to the overfilling the patient, and not necessarily due to the filler.  Injecting a patient is an art and the goal is to maintain natural results both in the neutral and animated face.  Some fillers tend so swell considerably after patients leave the office.  However, Volume is no hydrophilic, so it does not swell as much as other fillers, so the amount of swelling is much less.  Patients also have to be realistic and not compare themselves to overly airbrushed celebrity cover photos.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Does Voluma really last 2 years

+1

Voluma has been FDA approved to last up to two years because during the actual FDA trials more than 2/3 of the patients said they still saw results two years after being injected. Note that many of these patients received many, many more than 1 or 2 syringes which is what will be most commonly used in the everyday patient. So, yes, it can last up to two years, but the amount of volume injected must be considered when we give this statistic. 

Voluma is a hyaluronic acid filler which means it will be softer than Radiesse, so this should help from getting a puffed up awkward look. However, as with Voluma, just like any filler, the injector is key! 

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD