How Much More Fat is Removed for Larger Women Than Petite Woman During Lipo?

How do surgeons measure the amount of fat a person can lose in liposuction? Can I lose more if I'm bigger than the average girl?

How much fat can be removed with liposuction

+1

Yikes!  It sounds like you are thinking that liposuction is a way to lose weight and it really isn't.   Liposuction helps with discreet areas of excess fat but does not help with obesity.   Obese patients who think liposuction is the answer are going to end up very, very disappointed.

This is such a difficult conversation to have with patients who have been lead to believe that liposuction is a substitute for weight loss.  Patients never want to hear this but I really think it is a disservice not to discuss the limitations and risks of liposuction in the obese patient. 

Amount of fat removed during liposuction

+1

The amount of liposuction done is dependent on many factors -- how many areas are being liposuctioned, your general health and the amount of fat your surgeon will feel comfortable removing at one time. Safety is the most important factor.

Donna Rich, MD

Lipo

+1

A surgeon can estimate for any given patient and area how much fat can be safely removed. This will not in most cases significantly impact your weight. Liposuction is not weight loss and you need to discuss thoroughly if lipo is right for you

Michael Hueneke, MD

+1
The more fat in the area to be liposuctioned, the more that will be removed. However, the better question is whether liposuction is the appropriate treatment for a part of your body that disturbs you. It is not a substitute for weight loss but is designed to alleviate excess fat in a part of your body which you feel is troubling.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Liposuction and fat removal

+1

Unfortunately, your question is not relevant in the context of body size and individual variabilities. For example, a larger person can have small fat deposits whereas some petite woman may have a massive accumulation of fat. The better question is "Can liposuction safely and effectively help me obtain the look that I want?"

To answer this, you should be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon who may also be able to estimate the amount of fat he/she feels may be removed.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Large Volume Liposuction

+1

Large Volume Liposuction is a type of liposuction designed for plus size or larger size people. It is effectively reduces a patient's dress size. Large volume liposuction is usually performed by Board Certified Plastic Surgeons who specilize in Large Volume Liposuction, and have the facility that can care for these patients afterwards.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Fat removal.

+1

The more important question is - "How much in each area can be safely removed?" That depends on your general health, if you have a history of low blood counts, available recovery time, skin quality, etc. All of these factors should be evaluated and discussed during your consultation and subsequent visits.

Robert H. Schnarrs, MD
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Fat Removal with Liposuction

+1

A good candidate for liposuction surgery will have diet and exercise resistant adipose tissue present  along with sufficient skin elasticity ( to allow for the skin to bounce back after adipose tissue is removed). Liposuction is not a treatment for obesity.

If a patient has more adipose tissue present in a specific area then he/she can expect to have more adipose tissue removed than a patient who has less adipose tissue in that area.  Again, care must be taken to avoid removing too much adipose tissue in order to avoid contour irregularities and/or unsatisfactory skin redraping.