More Effective Laser: Yag Vs Diode on Skin Type IV-V? (photo)

About me: 17, light indian skin, can tan easily, dark black hair. (laser on face) - laser practicioner #1: rec. DIODE: said my skin is not too dark; really experienced one (with 10+ yrs and her mom has been doing the same thing).She said that my hair would get really less after 6 treats (no package). -#2:rec. YAG saying I have really dark skin. And over there I also had to buy a package of 6 and after that I will still have hair but very weak. I want one that will remove hair more permanently.

Nd:Yag Safer for Darker Skin Types

+1

Studies show that both lasers are equally effective for removing hair in the correct skin types--- the key being the skin type.  For skin types V-VI, I have found that only the Nd:Yag can be used at the appropriate fluence (dose) for proper hair removal, compared to the Diode which must be "turned down" so as to not burn the patient.  For Skin Type IV, both lasers can be equally effective, but I still favor the safety of the Nd:Yag.  

Personally, I prefer the Alexandrite Laser for skin types I-III, and the Nd:Yag Laser for IV-VI.  I have not used a diode in years, since I found it was not quite as good as the Alexandrite for lighter types, and not as safe as the Nd:Yag in darker skin types.

Just as important, is to consult and work with a physician you trust who is Board Certified in an accepted field of aesthetic surgery and who has extensive experience with lasers (as your said #1 was).  

Lastly, I personally don't like the idea of selling "packages", because a patient may not need, or desire, that number of treatments.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Yag for darker skin types for hair removal

+1

I would agree with the doctor that recommends the Nd:YAG laser (1064 nm) for your light Indian skin type. While the diode may work in experienced hands the yag is a safer effective choice

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon