4 Months After Upper and Lower Eye Surgery, Dry Eye is Really Bad. Will It Get Any Better? (photo)

Eyes are also not closing fully. Had upper + lower eye surgery w/ fat transfer + ptosis repair - now my right lower lid is lower than my left. Dr. told me push lid up often each day - lid lifted but not enough. Eye becomes red + inflamed. Clears w/ Pred Fort - few weeks later is inflamed again. I use Systane gel drops daily + eye ointment overnight. Original Dr. says eye closes properly. Husband says eye not fully closing. 2nd opinion diagnosed Eyelid Retraction BLL & Lagophthalmos - says needs Enduragen grafts OU. Sincerely,

4 Months After Upper and Lower Eye Surgery, Dry Eye is Really Bad. Will It Get Any Better?

+2

The photo does show post operative ectropion, right worse than left. Time MIGHT improve the result. But canthopexy/plasty would correct immediately. Seek more opinions. 

Blepharoplasty revision

+1

I do not think your condition will resolve with time alone. Your 2nd opinion doctor has the benefit of a face to face examination and therefore knows what cannot be assessed from photos alone. The key question is is the lower lid malposition due to scarring, a tissue deficit, lax ligaments in the corner of the eye or some combination of these factors. The appropriate surgery is predicated on these factors.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Dry eyes after blepharoplasty

+1

Dry eyes can happen after any eyelid surgery until the eyelid is able to properly close or blink, which can take 6 months or longer, depending on the type and extent of the surgery.  The dryness is usually mild and lubrication is important.  Poor eyelid closure/blinking can result from weak orbicularis muscle (responsible for closing the eyes and blinking) and/or tight eyelids.  At times, further surgery may be necessary to improve eyelid closure and relieve the dryness.  See an oculoplastic surgeon for proper evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

4 Months

+1

The Dry Eye Syndrome is a condition that is never "improved" by just blepharoplasty surgery (in and of itself).  However, your present condition may improve over time.  Therefore, in order for you to fully understand your current situation, I recommend that you follow-up with a trusted ophthalmologist to evaluate your dry eye problem ASAP.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon