Tummy Tuck and Old Horizontal Scar Revision? (photo)

I have a very severe and ropy vertical scar on my abdomen from a previous surgery, several small incision and puncture scars and 2 horizontal C-section scar. I have lost 80 lbs and have excessive skin. Can I have the vertical scar revised and a tummy tuck at the same time?

Scar revision needed

+2

It's actually necessary to revise this scar at the same time as the abdominoplasty as the upper abdominal tissue will not move down without it. You have lost a fair bit of weight but you still have abdominal bulging. It is possible you have an incisional hernia under that scar or at least a reasonable rectus separation after your children. You will also require a significant amount of liposuction with your abdominoplasty. Your procedure would be a big operation and in this country (Australia) you would be in hospital for several days.

Canberra Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck in the Presence of Previous Scars. Tummy Tuck and Old Horizontal Scar Revision? (photo)

+2

Thank you for your question and detailed information.  The presence of the scars you have mentioned will not stand in the way of a full/extended tummy tuck and yes you can have a revision on the vertical scar during the procedure.  As a matter of fact, my suggestion would be to have a fleur-de-lis type of tummy tuck because you already have the vertical scar.  Please make sure your plastic surgeon is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, there is no higher creditation in plastic surgery, and make sure he/she is adequately experienced in different types of tummy tuck surgery and can show you the full range of sample photos.  Best of luck.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Extended abdominoplasty often indicated for major excess skin.

+1

The large excess of skin and unsightly vertical scar make you a good candidate for an extended abdominoplasty that incurs a horizontal as well as vertical scar.

Tummy Tuck and Old Horizontal Scar Revision? (

+1

Thank you for your question and for the posted photo. The best advice will come during an in person consultation. Based on  the photo, you appear to be an excellent candidate for a TT, and some surgery to the scar would be done as part of the procedure. With the amount of weigh loss you have had and the presence of the vertical scar already, it may well be that a "fleur-de-lis" TT, or vertical TT is recommended, removing excess tissue in both the betical and horizontal directions, and resulting in a far better vertical scar than is now present. 

If the presence or absence of a hernia is not obvious on physical examination, your surgeon may order an imaging study to that no surprises occur during surgery for which preparations have not already been made. 

Congratulations on the weight loss, best wishes for your upcoming surgery. 

Tummy tuck with pre existing scars

+1

When you undergo a tummy tuck some of the old scars will be removed as part of the procedure. The vertical scar will likely be partially removed, the lower inch or two. The remainder of he vertical scar can be either revised at the same time as the tummy tuck or at a secondary procedure if necessary.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Candidate for an abdominoplasty

+1

It would be nice if your vertical midline scar was below the umbilicus, in that case the entire old scar could be removed.  In your particular situation the low transverse C section scar can be excised and the lose skin of the lower abdomen can be removed.  the scar above the umbilicus can be pulled down but unfortunately it can not be completely removed.  It will be important to be sure that you do not have an underlying incisional hernia.  

Tummy Tuck and Scar Revision

+1

Both your upper abdominal vertical scar and your abdominal contour issues can be improved in one operation with a fleur-de-lis abdominoplasty. This would remove your old scar and tighten the abdomen both horizontally and vertically. This procedure is generally performed as an outpatient and has a quick recovery. I would highly suggest a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is also a member of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS).

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Old Horizontal Scar Revision?

+1

You need more than one surgery, it is a very complicate surgery.

Translation provided by doctor:

Usted necesita mas de una cirugia, es una cirugia muy complicada.

Maria Cristina Picon, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon

+1

In your case, ONLY in person evaluation is indicated so the choice of separate operation can be thought about. 

What to do with the upper abdominal scar in a tummy tuck

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!  In your situation I would normally take advantage of the upper abdominal scar by removing both the lower belly skin and also some skin along the mid abdomen.  This is generally referred to as a "Fleur-de-Lis" pattern.  Just be sure that you discuss with your surgeon his plan regarding the scar.  Being able to take out that extra skin can really make a big improvement in your outcome.  Either way you will still have the scar running from your upper abdomen to your lower abdomen.

Hope this helps!

Brian Dorner, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon