Bump STILL There After REVISION? (photo)

I had my 1st SeptoRhinoplasty (endo) last yr (Aug.11) But I noticed that the bump was still there+ a VERY tiny gap in the center of the bump! He told me to give it some time, but... I finally had to do a revision 2 weeks ago (Oct.26) I could hear the rasping that lasted 5 min! He kept telling me: it's not good to rasp TOO much! So after removing the tape I noticed the SAME bump, SAME size! I'm extremely sad right now! I'll see him in about 1/5 month and I don't even know how I'm going to face him!

Bump after rhinoplasty

+2

It's too early to tell. It may take months to flatten.

If you press down on the bump and it smooths out, it should straighten out with time.

Bumps like this are not uncommon and your surgery can be looked upon as good result.

You can apply pressure to the bump which will help.

I am sure that your surgeon did his best and will be able best guide you through this period.

Revision Rhinoplasty Issues

+2

A persistent bony hump after primary surgery can occur.  In fact a bump can arise simply from the healing process.  This can be due to excess healing of bone and sometimes we try to suppress it with pressure exercises.  The gap that you felt between the bones may have been an "open roof" which would be due to the bones not being adequately fractured inward and together.  It's possible that the revision may not have been aggressive enough.  Though it has only been a couple of weeks and certainly swelling can still be prominent.

Generally speaking, this is a problem I often see with patients seeking 2nd and 3rd revisions who go back to the same physicians.  It's a difficult situation because the physician may be doing the repair at no additional cost and may be less inclined to do a full procedure.  And procedures which are done under local anesthetic or with injectables to try to cover up contour irregularities often don't lead to lasting results.  I would recommend that the patient seek the opinion of another surgeon, one who's skilled in revision.  This is a difficult suggestion to make to a patient who has already spent significant money on the initial surgery, but it may be the best solution.

Jeffrey Rawnsley, MD

Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

Rasping of bone, even minor, can irritate the lining of the bone called the periosteum which swells very easily.  I would be candid with your surgeon regarding the results and allow him to respond.  I would be patient and allow the swelling to diminish which can take some time as he may have explained.  By the way, overall you have a very good result.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump still there after revision?

+1

Sorry to hear you are not happy with your result. It is still soon after your surgery, and you are experiencing swelling. From what it sounds like, your surgeon took a conservative approach. Your final result will not be visible for up to 1 year after surgery, and you'll have to be patient and see how your nose heals before coming to any conclusions. Swelling can vary from patient to patient, and generally depends on the following:

1) Whether the procedure was primary or revision
2) Thickness of the patient's skin
3) Whether or not there was tip work performed

I would recommend following up with your surgeon, and asking him/her what was performed during your surgery to reduce the appearance of your hump. I would not consider any revision work for around one year. However, a revision can be performed sooner if there is no tip work involved. Good luck with the remainder of your recovery!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Residual dorsal hump after revision rhinoplasty

+1

After manipulating the area of the dorsal hump it's normal to have transient swelling during the immediate post-operative period.  If you can press down on it with you finger and flatten it, then it's swelling that is causing the appearance of the hump.  There are a number of things your surgeon may recommend to you to help expedite the resolution of swelling.

Donald B. Yoo, MD