Will IPL Photorejuvenation and Chemical Peels Help Acne, Red Marks, Large Pores and Shallow Scars?

I've had 8 chemical peels (Jessner and TCA 15%), which initially greatly improved my pores and shallow scars, but hasn't improved my acne or redness at all. I have a lot of persistant redness on my cheeks. Will IPL photorejuvenation improve my acne, redness, and light scars? Will it be more effective if I combine the two treatments? I'm 25, female, oily/combination, fair skinned with light freckles, moderate acne. I am NOT a candidate for antibiotics nor Accutane.

IPL For Acne Scars

+1

An IPL can help improve redness, but won't do much for acne scars. I would consider a combination treatment with a pulsed dye laser (which targets redness) and fraxel restore (which stimulates collagen production and helps improve the appearance of acne scars).  This combo won't induce prolonged redness which may be seen with chemical peels.  Good luck!

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL for Redness and Large Pores

+1

IPL is a light therapy that penetrates below the surface of the skin and seeks out pigment, red or brown. In addition to this, it stimulates collagen production and helps to minimized pore size. So in answer to your question, Yes IPL will help with the majority of your concerns. I would suggest you be evaluated by a doctor to rule out the possibility that the redness and what may appear to be acne, isn't actually another skin condition known as Rosacea.

Steve Laverson, MD