I Am 4 Months Out Since I Stopped Breastfeeding, Do I Need a Lift and Augmentation? (photo)

I am curious if I will need a lift AND augmentation or if I would be ok with just an augmentation? I am very interested in the sub-muscular implants and also like to know if the silicone implants are able to be placed in this location. I have had the opportunity to feel the silicone compared with the saline and I liked the feel of the silicone much better, however I do not care for the look of many of the augmentations done on top of the muscle. I appreciate all who answer. Thank you.

I Am 4 Months Out Since I Stopped Breastfeeding, Do I Need a Lift and Augmentation?

+3

Without examining you I can obviously only give you an opinion from the picture. I would perform a lift with an implant placed in a partial subpectoral position, otherwise known as a "Dual-Plane" approach.  This gives you the benefits of subpectoral upper pole protection from rippling with the addition of filling out the lower aspect of the breast.  Either a circumareolar or vertical lift would work depending upon the size of the breast implant desired.  Good luck. 

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Silicone implants under the muscle with lift

+3

from your photo, you appear to be ptotic or droopy.  The nipple appears to be below the inframammary fold as best as I can tell from the photo with your arms raised some.  thus, you need a lift.  otherwise the implants will need to be placed in front of the muscle or you will get a "B" shaped breast if they are placed under the muscle without a lift.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Silicone breast augmentation ? lift

+2

Generally speaking, from the photos and your information, placing an implant only will give you the volume. But there are trade offs, the areola will be wider. The implants will be low and you may require a large implant to fill the skin envelop. Doing a lift will address these issues. The question is what type lift. During a consultation your plastic surgeon will be able to examine the breast and determine the lift type that you need. You need to be very clear about you hopes and desires with your plastic surgeon. I wish you all the best.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Breast lift and breast implants

+2

Your concerns are valid but unfortunately cannot be answered in any detail from a single posted photo of a frontal view with the shoulders tilted down to the left and both arms raised (one more than the other). You could have silicone gel implants placed under the muscle. Given the presence of enlarged areola I assume they and the surrounding skin were stretched by the breast feeding process. In that case some sort of lift would be needed but it would not be possible to say exactly which based on this single photo.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Augmentation adds volume, breast lift shapes the breast tissue

+2

A breast lift shapes and re-positions the breast tissue into its optimum position.  A breast augmentation adds volume to your existing breast located in its optimum position.  Although a more in depth discussion and examination is needed for a definitive answer from your current photo it would appear that a breast lift would be beneficial for an optimum overall breast augmentation result.  With this you would also have the opportunity to reshape and re-size your areola.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Best Breast Surgery for Me?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to give you precise advise without direct examination and a full communication of your goals. The picture that you have posted is not as valuable as possible, given that your arms are elevated. Also, side views of your breasts would be more helpful.

If you have experience significant “sagging” after pregnancy and or weight gain/loss, it is likely that you will benefit from breast lifting as well as breast augmentation surgery. Your choice of silicone gel breast implants placed in the sub muscular (dual plane) is perfectly reasonable.

I would suggest in-person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons for the most precise advice.

Lift and augmentation

+2

The optimal procedure for you would be a lift and augmentation.  The sub facial placement would be an excellent option for your anatomy with the advantages of sub muscular placement  without the discomfort...a lift would give you a better shape and also reduce your areola size so that it looks better as well.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Do I Need a Lift and Augmentation?

+2

Thanks for the skin and the photo.Silicone implants in the sub-muscular position would be a good choice. If you choose to have a breast augmentation, you should strongly consider a breast lift at the same time. Placing an implant in her breast that is significantly sagging will predictably give an unsatisfying results, with the breast tissue appearing to hang off of the implant.

The photo you sent with your arms elevated may understate the amount of sagging that you actually have. I do think you can expect a nice improvement. Thanks and best wishes

A breast lift with implants under the muscle is likely your best option.

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.
A breast lift with implants under the muscle is likely your best option. Implants alone do not lift breasts. Breast implants restore lost volume but do not provide lift.
To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS