Almost 5 Months Post U/l Blepharoplasty and CO2 And Experiencing Major Discomfort And Pain, What Can I Do? (photo)

My o/p surgeon specialized in treating festoons. They are very much improved, but my eyes are now strange and wide open, like marbles. My right eye hurts almost everyday. I sleep w/it vasolined closed, saran wrapped and use drops and gels all day. Best time is first thing in the morning. Then the eye begins to swell, pulling down on the lower lid and pinching upwards on the upper lid. It literally changes shape throughout the day. Is there still time for my eyes to sort themselves out?

Post Eyelid Surgery Complications

+3

You suffer from complications of lid retraction and dry eye after an aggressive upper and lower lid operation supplemented by the injury of CO2 laser resurfacing. You are demonstrating an aggressive skeletonized fat removal from the upper lid with an "A deformity with polling in of the inner brow. The lower lid which should cover the colored portion of the eye is pulled way low with "White Show" of the sclera. This is particularly seen along the lower side aspect of the eye where it should come much higher NOT be pulled down by scar tissue or skin tightness. Unfortunately, this demonstrates that training in Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery is no guarantee of judgement, skill or freedom from complications.  While with massage your eyes MAY still improve marginally, I think you most likely would require corrective surgery.

O/p is this an abbreviation for oculoplastic surgeon?

+3

You have had several aggressive procedures for the eye.  If your surgeon is an oculoplastic surgeon, it is a simple matter of them examining your eye surface to determine if you have corneal drying which is likely based on your appearance and symptoms.  If your surgeon is not board certified in ophthalmology (i.e. general plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, etc) then they lack the equipment, knowledge, training, and experience to actually diagnose that basis for your eye discomfort. I hope you are not actuality using Valsoline on the eye.  The appropriate product would be bland ophthalmic  ointment like lacrilube or Refresh PM ointment.  In your photo, the lower eyelid looks vertically short and the lower eyelid is mildly bowed down.  Depending on the precise nature of your eyelid surgery, many lower eyelid procedures for addressing festoons can damage the nerve that supply the muscles that help close the eye.  I recommend that you consider getting a second opinion form an oculoplastic surgeon or cornea specialist for treatment of your dry eye symptoms.  At five months out, it is improbable that this issue will resolve on its own and you may require a complex lower eyelid reconstruction to restore ocular comfort.  I would be very careful about this.  Simply having someone tighter the lower eyelid with a canthoplasty or canthopexy will actually make your situation worse.  There are a handful of surgeon in the United States who are skilled at aesthetically restoring this situation.  You can study my website for more information on this type of work (lidlift dot com).

Lower lid retraction

+2

It is likely that you are not closing your eyes completely secondary to lower lid retraction.  You should discuss this with an oculoplastic surgeon.  They are surgical and nonsurgical solutions available.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

How long does it take scar tissue to resolve?

+2

Hello TTBP,

Even though it is 5 months post you still have some scar tissue that will relax.  So you should continue to improve.  Keep in mind, surgical wound beds aren't truly mature until about a year and even then they evolve.  However, what you're experiencing makes me think the surgery could have been slightly more conservative but I couldn't say for sure and I'm sure your surgeon did a great job.

Can you close your eyes at night?  Have you followed up with your surgeon?

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Almost 5 Months Post U/l Blepharoplasty and CO2 And Experiencing Major Discomfort And Pain, What Can I Do?

+1

Sounds like you are dealing with the symptoms of severe dry eye associated with an aggressive lower eyelid surgery.  You could always see an eye doctor for recommendations on treating the dry eye.