5 Months Post TT/MR is It Safe to Lift Heavy Objects?

I had my TT/MR 5 months ago, I'm doing ok, is it safe to lift heavy objects and to start ab work. How hard can I work without doing any damage.

Lifting heavy objects 5 months after Tummy Tuck

+1

I tell my patients to listen to their body.  Start working out gradually, but if you don't feel strained and don't have pain, I feel that it is safe to return to all activities at 3-6 weeks.  The faster you get back to an normal life style, the faster you will heal.

Exercise post TT

+1

It is safe at this time to resume all your normal activities including exercise.You can do weights.situps and all you can exercise wise

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Timing for abdominal exercises after a tummy tuck.

+1

Different plastic surgeons will have different protocols. In my practice, I allow for abdominal exercises at 8 weeks postop. However, it is always important to gradually increase your activity level. You should discuss this with your plastic surgeon and gently increase your workout routine.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Return to Activity Following Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

I am a bit surprised that your surgeon has not already discussed activity level with you. When was the last time you met with your surgeon?

I restrict my patient to a 5-10 pound lifting restriction for two weeks following surgery. At that point if they are doing well, I allow them to very lightly and slowly increase their activity with simple minimally strenuous activities and exercises. “Start low and go slow.” It is important that patients use their body and how it feels as a guide to furthering activity. If an activity causes pain or discomfort, or excessive fatigue, then stop, wait several days, and try again. If one experiences significant aches and pains a day after activity, they probably did too much and should rest a day or two, then resume at a lower activity level. Activities and exercises should be increased slowly and consistently as a patient works to return to normal.

I allow patients to return to full strenuous activities at six weeks, but in reality most patients do not reach that level for eight or more weeks.

If your recovery has been normal, there is no reason why you can’t begin an abdominal work out and lift heavy objects five months following tummy tuck. But if your activity level truly has been minimal up to this point, you need to follow the same advice above. You should check with your surgeon for further recommendations.

Best wishes, Kenneth Dembny

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Healing and activity after a tummy tuck

+1

Like all abdominal surgeries.  i allow my patients full activity after 6 weeks.  best to start slow and be consistant

Tummy Tuck - 5 Months Post TT/MR is It Safe to Lift Heavy Objects?

+1

I normally advise my patients that at three weeks post-op they can start exercising slowly (and gently) and advance as tolerated.  So at 5 months you should certainly be able to do that.  You should, of course, discuss all of this with your own plastic surgeon, but I would think that 5 months has been enough time.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck, Workouts

+1

I generally restrict my abdominoplasty patients from excessive abdominal workouts for 8 weeks. By then the wound strength is close to fully restored. But it's important to clear any activity with your personal surgeon first and when you do get back to exercise, listen to your body and don't overdue if you get too tired or too sore.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Heavy Lifting After Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question.I

It is always better to get specific advice from your operating plastic surgeon.

Generally speaking, most patients are able to do heavy lifting and abdominal workout 5 months after tummy tuck surgery. I would suggest a gradual progression in the lifting and workouts and “listening to your body” to know when to rest etc. Do not overdo it when you first start working out.