7 Months Post- Neck Lipo - Still Stiff and Numb

Feels like there is thick scar tissue under the skin. When I smile or use facial expressions I feel quite stiff but I can smile etc. Just sitting here typing it feels like pressure on both sides of my face. My neck (I had lipo) feels stiff also. It could be easing but it is very slow. Sometimes it feels much worse. I don't know whether this is when I am paying attention to it more. Will massaging my face help?

Stiffeness & numbness following lipo...

+2

It is not unusual to have stiffness and numbness following liposuction.  The cannula pushes the nerves out of the way.  Duration of numbness may be related to the device (ultrasound, laser generates heat) or hematoma.  It is anticipated that the stiffness and numbness will return to normal over the course of 1 year.

Brampton Plastic Surgeon

Chin Liposuction

+1

You need an evaluation by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine why you still have firmness/tightness under your neck.  Massaging may help, but an exam is warranted.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Massage should help stiffness of the Neck following Liposuction. Numbness takes a long time to improve

+1

7 months is a long time for the neck to feel stiff after Chin or Neck Liposuction. Moist heat and massage are the best treatments.

Numbness of the skin over an area treated with Liposuction can take at least a year to improve. Nerves heal very slowly.

Ask your doctor if neck exercises will help loosen the neck tissues.

Perhaps the stiff feeling is related to numbness as I would have expected the skin to have softened by 7 months.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS