5 Months Post-rhinoplasty. Is This Normal Progress? (photo)

I had rhinoplasty on December, 27, 2011, to remove a bump on my nose, overall make it look smaller. I'm worried because I still have the bump. Dr says its scar tissue, new bone regrowth. I had a kenalog injection yesterday. I do see some progress but is not what I was looking for. My doctor tells me he shaved the bone off, took 90% of the cartilage front the point off. Do you think this is normal progress? Thank you!

Nasal Bump Remains After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear T.,

I am sorry that you are unsatisfied with the results of your Rhinoplasty.

Without physical examination, it is hard to tell if your nasal bump is a scar tissue, a callus (if you had undergone an osteotomy) or simple swelling.

Corticosteroid injections may work in specific cases where scarring and swelling are within reasonable range and if the injection is administered at the right time professionally.

Usually final results are established at about a year after the surgery but at the 6 months mark, it looks like you may be looking for a corrective surgery of a delicate nature.

That being said please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

Sorry that about your unhappy results. While it will take an in person physical examination and consultation to verify, you may be a candidate for a revision. If the surgeon is not willing to discuss the possibility of a future revision, consult with 2 - 3 board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

5 Months Post-rhinoplasty. Is This Normal Progress?

+1

Without feeling the nasal dorsum, this is only an assumption but it does appear that the dorsal hump remains after the Rhinoplasty.  This may require further hump reduction, breaking the nasal bones to prevent and open roof deformity  Aesthetically, you might want to consider a chin implant to augment the chin and balance the lower face on profile.  Hope this helps.  

Probable revision rhinoplasty is going to be needed for bump.

+1

Probable revision rhinoplasty is  going to be needed for bump on your bridge. Furthermore, the tip looks low without sufficient projection. See an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon for the best results.

Revision surgery is likely required for large dorsal hump at 5 months

+1

Thank you for the question.  I think that your concerns are warrented.  It is true that it can take six months after rhinoplasty surgery for all the swelling to settle but from the pictures it appears that there is more than swelling contributing to the appearance for your nose.  It appears, from these two limited images, that you need your dorsum reduced further and your tip needs to be rotated up (your nose hangs slightly).  It also would be benificial to look at augmentation of the chin for better facial harmony.

Be carefull to limit kenalog injections as you can get some overlying skin changes.

It is best to return to the treating surgeon to discuss YOUR concerns and come up with a treatment plan.  Surgery should be done after a year if you can be patient enough. 

These online discussions are very of limited value as we do not have your pre-treatment images and have not had a chance to examine you and your nose.  I'm sure yoiu will be pleased with the final outcome.

Scott Barr, MD
Sudbury Plastic Surgeon

Secondary Rhinoplasty?

+1

If your primary goal was to achieve a flat dorsum without a hump, no amount of time or kenalog is going to work.  You will need to have a revision procedure.  I agree with the thought that your tip is under-rotated, but it does not necessarily need to changed to have an acceptable result.  You should also discuss chin augmentation as this will help balance your facial features.  

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Sorry to agree with you as based upon the posted photos. Best to seek in person second opinions. You will need revision at 6 to 9 months after this operation. 

Hump 5 months after rhinoplasty

+1

First, let me start on a positive note by mentioning that your nose has some improvements as compared to the pre-op picture: the hump got a little smaller and your tip rotation (the angle between the tip and the lip) has actually improved as well.  But I fully understand you when you say that this is not the result that you expected.  You still have a fairly prominent dorsal hump (and believe me, Kenalog injections is not a solution for it, so stop doing it) and your tip could benefit from more rotation and better projection. Also, the junction between your nose and the forehead (called radix) looks somewhat deep, which also accentuates your dorsal hump. You are 5 months out, so it is a little early to talk about the revision surgery -- it is customarily recommended to wait about a year before embarking on that.  However, you may need an additional surgery if you want to improve your nose further.  Be patient for now and make sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  I am sure that you both will be able to come up with a mutually satisfactory plan. Good luck.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Rhino Question

+1

It looks like Tip Ptosis (droop) and under resection of the nasal dorsum (bridge) from this angle.  Check out a few magazine photos that you like and discuss them with your doctor. Your recent Rhinoplastic Surgeon will discuss your options.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not happy with my nose (photo)

+1

In agreement with my esteemed colleague, Dr. Ellenbogen, your goals are unlikely to be achieved without secondary rhinoplasty.  Each situation must be individually evaluated, including your photos prior to first procedure (if available), your skin (complexion), internal nasal examination, your goals, and external exam.  Then, a plan should be formulated to achieve your goals, and discussed with you.  It is important to understand what will be done, why, and alternatives and risks are considered.

Steve Laverson, MD