I Am 6 Months Post Rhino & Still Have Large Scab Inside my Nose That Bleeds when I Clean my Nose with a Q Tip, is This Normal?

Should I be worried? What can I do to get rid of them? How long are scabs meant to heal?

Bleeding Scab In Nose At 6 Months After Rhinoplasty

+1

It is simply not normal to have a bleeding scab at 6 months after rhinoplasty. The reason behind the bleeding may not be a scab that did not heal but rather an exposed suture, a dry nasal mucosa, etc.

I urge you to consult with your surgeon and to have a physical assessment of your nose to be able to identify the cause of the bleeding and fix it.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Scab present 6 months after rhinoplasty

+1

Typically, it should not take 6 months for the scab to heal. It sounds like suture exposure. Vaseline often allows it to heal, but I would recommend you see your doctor as it is difficult to make a diagnosis without an evaluation.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Scab in Nose 6 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is not normal to have a scab in your nose that does bleed 6 months after a rhinoplasty. There are multiple possible explanations which I will not try to describe, but you should call your surgeon to schedule an examination so he/she can eliminate the cause of the problem.

Bleeding and scab 6 months after rhinoplasty

+1

It is not quite normal to have a non-healing scab with bleeding 6 months after a rhinoplasty.  This could be just a weak mucosal vessel that pops open now and then and bleeds, crusts, and bleeds again when crusting comes off.  Another possibility is suture granuloma, or inflammatory tissue, which usually is vascular and tends to bleed spontaneously or with manipulation. You may consider trying intranasal Bactroban ointment for lubrication, but better check with you doctor to see if something more needs to be done.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Nasal bleeding after rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

The nasal crusting in the nose may indicate an area that has not completely healed after your surgery.  Trying not messing with the area for 2 weeks to let the area heal without manipulation would be good.  If it continues, may need your surgeon to visually inspect the area to rule out medical causes of bleeding.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon