2 Months Post-Reduction. Still Larger Than Expected.

I had my reduction just over 2 months ago. I was a full 32DD now am a 32D. Although I know my surgeon couldn't guarantee my a certain size we discussed a B-C. I am very frustrated now to still be a D cup. How much more can I expect to loose in swelling? I am doubting it is a full cup size. Anyone else experienced this?

Breasts Too Large After Breast Reduction

+1

At 2 months post-operably it is much too early to judge the final results of the surgery- in may  the that you will be pleased at the one-year mark.  If not please, for the reduction may be performed (preferably by the same surgeon who knows your anatomy and the exact procedure previously performed,  assuming he/she is a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon).

One concern with the amount of tissue removed during  your breast reduction surgery  may have been related to  the blood flow to the remaining tissue;  if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola)  may be compromised.   Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible)  then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival.  Doing the procedure in more than one stage allows the tissues to  acclimate to the surgically decreased blood flow before  further tissue removal (and potentially further decreased blood flow)  occurs ( with the 2nd stage operation).

The other concern with overly aggressive breast reduction surgery is patient dissatisfaction  afterwards.  It is not unusual for patients who have lived with very large breasts to want to have as much as possible removed. Care must be taken to be judicious in this removal to avoid an outcome where the breasts  are too small in relation (proportionately) to the patient's other body parts.  Again, it is not uncommon, for patients'  breasts to become smaller ( after the breast reduction procedure) with time and/or weight loss-  breast augmentation may become necessary to achieve the patient size goals.

Breast size after reduction

+1

It is very hard to guarantee a cup size after a bresat reduction. You rbreasts may become smaller as the swelling dissipates.

Breast reduction: NOT SMALL ENOUGH!

+1

There is still 10-15 % swelling at this point in time. Allow time for the swelling to resolve. If there is no ptosis (sag) you could undergo further reduction with minimal scars using liposuction.

Breast reduction and healing

+1

Your size will still go down and in a number of patients quite dramatically. Just be patient. You should achieve your "real" new size at about a year.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Cup Size and Breast Reduction

+1

You still have some time for settling but down a full cup size is unlikely.  In fairness to your surgeon I will share this.  I perform a lot of breast reductions and this discussion comes up all the time about cup size.  I do not guarantee cup size either and when a woman wants a significant reduction DD to B/C I inform the patient the more I reduce the breast down the potential for damaging the circulation increases.  What this means for the patient is a higher chance for wounds, non healing incisions and loss of the nipple areolar complex.  Neither the PS or the patient wants this.  So I reduce the patient's breasts down to a size that is reasonable and that does not increase the chances of complications during or after the surgery.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Breast size after breast reduction

+1

It is difficult to predict the exact cup size after a breast reduction, and there are certain factors that limit the amount of breast tissue that may be safely removed during the procedure (for example, maintaining blood flow to the nipple to ensure its viability and sensation). If you are dissatisfied with the size of your breasts several months after surgery, you should discuss possibilities for revision with your plastic surgeon. Liposuction may be a good option to further reduce the size of your breasts.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Larger than Expected 2 months after Breast reduction Surgery

+1

Regarding: "I had my reduction just over 2 months ago. I was a full 32DD now am a 32D. Although I know my surgeon couldn't guarantee my a certain size we discussed a B-C. I am very frustrated now to still be a D cup. How much more can I expect to loose in swelling? I am doubting it is a full cup size"

I am sorry for your predicament. Although we serially weigh all tissues removed during a breast reduction and keep assessing the progressively smaller breasts, that is no guarantee that you will get a certain cup size. But I cannot explain a breast reduction from DD to D either.

Unfortunately for you, at 2 months after surgery you are looking at close to the final result. Although there is still some inflammation and swelling in the breasts, the breasts are close to the way they will look.

You need to calmly discuss this with your surgeon and, if needed, agree to a contingency plan.

Dr. Aldea