4 Months Post-op Rhinoplasty Nose Tip Still Bulbous, Could it Still be Swollen?

I had a bump shaved as well as bulbous tip refined. I am please with my nose however I find that the tip is still a little bulbous. Does it truly(in all cases) takes a full year for all the residule swelling to dissapate? Could this still be swelling? Is there anything I can do to reduce swelling, massaging? any steroid injections? Also I find that my nose is usually more bulbous in the morning and starts to feel smaller as the day goes on? Is this normal?

Bulbous Nose Tip After Rhinoplasty May Take A Year For Final Result

+3

The tissues of the nasal tip hold fluid for a very long time after surgery. Also, the skin of the tip of the nose must gradually shrink after surgery to refine a bulbous tip.

It is very true that most experienced Rhinoplasty surgeons recommend waiting a year to see the final tip result. If you wait you may be pleasantly surprised.

The fact that you are more swollen in the morning suggests that fluid build up is a problem.

Ask your surgeon about massage and taping to improve the process.

Swelling 4 months after Rhinoplasty

+3

I hear and read this question alot.  There is a difference between swelling and "shrink wrapping"  The swelling goes a way after 3 months or so.  But, the skin takes a much longer time, a year or two, before it contracts around the underlying cartilages.  That is what takes a very long time.  You may hear and read that the "swelling" can go on for a year, and in some cases, where the nose appears bigger in the am than the pm that is the case, the vast majority of the time it is simply that the nasal skin has yet to maximally contract.  I hope this helps you.  Best, 

Dr. Miller

Philip Miller, MD

Bulbous Tip 4 Months Post Rhinoplasty

+2

With all due respect to my colleagues who have answered this question, the tip may not technically be swollen, but it will decrease in size as healing progresses. The fact that it is bigger in the morning and shrinks during the day when you're upright and active indicates that have not seen the final result. What you're experiencing is normal.

Nasal tip healing after rhinoplasty

+1

The tip is no longer swollen, though there is scar tissue as the tip fully heals and the skin conforms and it really can take up to a year. As long as there is stiffness in the tip, the scar is not mature, and as it does the tip will continue to improve and shrink in over time.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Bulbous nasal tip post rhinoplasty

+1
Swelling in the tip is the last portion of swelling to dissipate in the nose. While most swelling, approximately seventy percent dissipates in the first three months post surgery the final thirty percent takes an entire year to fully dissipate. Steroids usage is dependent on the case and their particular healing process. Your surgeon will discuss this option with you if he/she feels this would be helpful in your healing process. If you feel you have more swelling in the am versus the pm then try and sleep elevated and watch your sodium intake and see if this helps your situation. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Bulbous tip after rhinoplasty

+1

I suspect that there is still some swelling present, especially if it changes throughout the day, as you describe. A steroid injection might help regardless. Check with your surgeon.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Tip of my nose still too big.

+1

The fact that your tip is larger in the morning proves that it is still swollen.   The tip of your nose is likely to shrink dramatically during the next several months as swelling further subsides.  My recommendation is against massaging and/or steroid injections at this time, but a double dose of patience will likely help.

Steve Laverson, MD