Over 3 Months Post Op TT, MR and Lipo to Hips..Swelling is Worse, Why?

I am a little over 3 months post op TT, MR and lipo to hips, I had the quilting version done and no drains were required. I was wondering I feel more swollen now than when first did the procedure, is this because of the way the TT was performed or is more swelling expected now?

Swelling after TT

+2

It's really hard to say without a photo. Make sure you haven't gained weight. Get on the scale! Could be a little swelling, but usually not much is left after 3 months. Avoid salt. Go back to your surgeon and get checked.

Swelling after Tummy Tuck?

+2

As always, it is best to be seen in person ( by your plastic surgeon) for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Abdominal wall "swelling" after tummy tuck may be related to:
1. Swelling in the soft tissues.  This may take several months to resolve and may worsen with increased activity  or at the end of the day.   Patience  is required to allow for resolution of the swelling. The swelling occurs because of the interruption of venous and lymphatic channels that occurs during the tummy tuck operation.
2. Fluid accumulation in the space between the skin and the abdominal wall muscle.  this may consist of blood ( hematoma)  or serum (seroma).  This fluid accumulation can generally be diagnosed by physical examination ( occasionally ultrasound  may be helpful).  Treatment consists of aspiration;  several episodes of aspiration may be necessary. 
3. Separation of the abdominal wall muscle repair may lead to a swelling/bulge appearance. This may be diagnosed on physical examination  with your surgeon examining you in different bodily positions. One of the steps of a tummy tuck procedure involves reapproximation (plication)  of the rectus muscles.  These muscles have spread apart during pregnancy and/or weight gain. Bringing them together again in the midline helps to “tighten” the abdominal wall as well as to narrow the waistline.
4. Residual adipose tissue may be confused for swelling. Again this is most easily diagnosed by physical examination. Additional liposuction surgery maybe necessary to improve the results of surgery.
Generally, it takes many months for swelling to resolve after tummy tuck surgery and it may take up to one year  (or greater)  a complete skin redraping  to occur.

Swelling after 3 months

+1

Continue to follow closely with your plastic surgeon. Pl relay your concerns to your plastic surgeon so that you may be evaluated for a possible seroma.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Swelling after abdominoplasty

+1

Are you swollen all of the time, or is your abdomen fairly flat in the morning, but swollen in the afternoon.  Also, is your swelling confined to your abdominal area or is it circumferential involving the areas of liposuction as well?  If you are flat in the morning, the swelling probably represents edema in the tissues and will resolve with more time.  It may take up to six months.  If you are persistently swollen and mainly in the abdominal area, you may have a seroma that needs aspiration.  Your surgeon should be able to give you an answer after re-examining you.

Donald Griffin, MD