8 Months Post Op - Should I Be This Swollen (Thick Skin)? Pls Comment if You Think It Looks Different? (photo)

Hi Doctors, I realize it would be easier to answer my ques with pics showing the progress of my nasal tip surgery. I undertook the surgery in May 2012 (8 months ago) and I am still very, very swollen. I am completely aware thicker skin takes longer for the swelling to go down, but I would just like an opinion as to whether or not you believe my swelling WILL go down! I am very worried and I have been extremely patient. In all honesty, I thought my nose would be much smaller by now. Pls help! :)

Tip Swelling at 8 Months in Thick Skinned Individual

+2

First, I must say that your nose does look better than the preop, and I think you are still swollen.  I would wait a minimum of 12 months before considering any intervention.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

8 Months Post Op - Should I Be This Swollen (Thick Skin)? Pls Comment if You Think It Looks Different?

+1

I believe based upon the very limited info and action/life posted photos you needed a FULL RHINOPLASTY not a tip rhinoplasty. Sorry for your unhappiness. 

Tip swelling

+1

Thicker skin noses in general need plenty of time to develop their final shape – you may wish to see your surgeon about Kenalog injections

Sam Naficy, MD

Tip issue

+1

You may very well still have swelling but you will be limited by the thick tissues that you have.

Bulbous Tip

+1

Hi,

You definitely have a persistent bulbous tip. This will not go down regardless of waiting and or steroid injections. You would require a revision rhinoplasty with defatting of the tip and cartilage grafts to refine and reduce the bulbous tip.

See link below.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Persistent swelling of nasal tip after rhinoplasty

+1

Your tip does look swollen still.  It would be helpful to see how it was shortly after surgery and the recovery phase.  If the tip looks more swollen many months after surgery and has not subsided then there is a chance some of this swelling is related to the formation of scar internally.  At this point I feel it is reasonable to inject a small dose of steroid such as Kenalog 10 to see is some of the swelling may subside.  Its best to be very conservative with the steroid. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon