4 months post-op, swelling varies from great to minimal from day to day? (photo)

It's been about 4 months exactly since the procedure, it seems completely random whether I wake up with a huge ballooned nose that only goes down minimally over the course of the day to waking up with a nicely defined, minimally swollen nose that looks like the projected image. I'm happy with the shape definitely, but the swelling gets intense sometimes and stays like that for days. I've used a saline nasal spray and a medicated Afrin sinus spray to reduce it but no luck. Is this normal?

Post operative swelling after rhinoplasty

+2

Well, as I am sure your surgeon has informed you, it truly takes a full year before most rhinoplastic surgeons will consider post operative swelling resolved. It is not abnormal to have intermittent swelling of nose (especially tip region) for many months. It often fluctuates, as you have experienced first hand. Neither the afrin or saline spray will alter this swelling... time will help most. Your surgeon may ask you to tape the nose and/or will occasionally inject the nose with steroids to help with scar tissue or swelling. You need to visit with your doctor and discuss. Best of luck!

4 months post-op, swelling varies from great to minimal from day to day?

+1

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.