This is Me 8 Months Post-op. I Still Look Like I Am 3 Months Pregnant. Is This Normal? I Am Very Upset. (photo)

I thought that the swelling and fullness would keep going down but I feel like it's getting worse. I have been doing some light exercise (yoga) twice a week and have been watching my diet so my weight stays the same. My surgeon came highly recommended by lots of moms in my area. The last time I saw him, he looked and felt my tummy and said everything was fine. He gave me the pre surgery picture and we took some pictures at 6 months post-op but he never gave or showed me those post-op pictures.

Tummy tuck revision

+2

You do have significant dog ears and would benefit from revision surgery. It appears that you did not have significant rectus plication but we do not have pre op photos to compare.  If your doctor does not realize these issues then it is time for you to consult a new doctor. A new doctor will not be the least expensive option but if your doctor can not see the problem then it would be hard for he or she to fix it! Good Luck.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

This is Me 8 Months Post-op. I Still Look Like I Am 3 Months Pregnant. Is This Normal? I Am Very Upset.

+2

Appears as if you DID NOT have muscle repair and very poor attention the details of the operation, as in the bilateral dog ear deformities. Best to have complete revision. 

Concerns after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

It is difficult to comment accurately/fairly without looking at your before pictures and/or examining you in person. However, the abdominal wall prominence that you refer to is visible in the pictures. Whether or not this is related to ongoing swelling versus abdominal wall laxity, only time will tell. In other words, it would be best to evaluate the end results of surgery and determine the potential benefits of revisionary surgery roughly one year after the initial procedure was performed.

You may also benefit from excision of “dog ears” and refinement of the umbilicus ( make it smaller?) down the line.

At this point, there is not much to do except to continue to exercise patience  and continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon. Express your questions and concerns in a calm, constructive fashion. It still concerned, or in doubt,  a second  opinion consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area may be helpful to you.

Hello

+2

It’s very hard to see what can be going on. From your picture it looks like you are still very swollen. Are you wearing your compression garment? Swelling can take up 1 year to subside.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

8 Months after Tummy Tuck - Looks Pregnant?

+1

8 Months after tummy tuck additional plication may be necessary to improve the pregnant look.  I will say that I see probably 2 patients out of a 100 who have such poor fascia that the fascia relaxes significantly after surgery. 

Post

+1

A lot of the swelling if not most has resolved by now. Pre operative photographs would be helpful to see where you started. See your surgeon again

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

8 Months Post-op

+1

By 8 months it is hard to blame the contour on swelling. It is hard to comment without seeing pre-op photos. But it does look like there may have been a less than adequate muscle tightening.

You will probably do well to have a secondary procedure, which would include revision of the navel and the dog ears, as well as tightening of the abdominal muscles. Discuss with your surgeon while looking at the pre and post op photos, and let the surgeon know what still bothers you.  If you disagree his opinion, you should a second opinion.

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

Second Option??

+1

Thank you for the pictures and photographs. Yes, you do require a second option if you desire a better result. Contact your surgeon and request a copy of your operative report. Take this data with you to a member of the ASAPS in your area. They are experts in revisional cosmetic surgery. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon