2 Months Post Op Rhinoplasty with Only Slight Results, Is this Because of the Swelling? (photo)

I am just over 2 months post-op closed rhinoplasty. My surgeon did not operate on my bone, just the tip cartilage, since my problem was really with my bulbous tip. I do notice now that it is a bit less bulbous now, but my nose now has has an awkward and uneven shape to it. I know that some uneven swelling is normal, but what I have noticed seems a bit too uneven. Also my nose still seems way too big for my face. Is that just the swelling? How much more will it go down?

Your nose is certainly still swollen 2 months after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

I reviewed your concerns and your photos:

2 mos. post op is too soon to judge your final result, and tip swelling persists for many months after nose job surgery.

If you're still concerned by your appearance 3-4 mos. from now, you may want to re-ask your question, with updated photos, for the RealSelf experts to comment on.

All the best.

Dr. Joseph

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Full revision rhinoplasty should fix the problem.

Of course don't do anything for another four months, but I am afraid you really needed more than just a tip procedure.  When all the swelling is gone, your nose may still look too big for your face.  The only good news is that a skillful revision with delicate reduction of the bone pyramid should  give you a very nice result to go with your pretty face.  Also the tip may need a little further refinement.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

You still have swelling

Your before pictures show large and bulbous tip. The surgery for the nose should have involved the rest of the nose and not just the tip. The reduction of the tip is making the rest of the nose look larger. You should wait at least six months and then discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your inquiry!

It is understandable that you are concerned especially with the bulbous nasal tip. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is not uncommon especially that swelling takes time to subside as it masks the results of your surgery.

It is important to keep in mind that it is early to pass a judgment. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be, but longer with a thick skin. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendation at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling resolves, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Results 2 Months Post Rhinoplasty

You understand that your nose is still swollen and the definition will improve over the next 6 months. Presently the tip is wide and asymmetrical, and  the profile line is full. Time will tell, but some revision may be necessary.