3 Months Post Op Rhinoplasty. Is It the Swelling or Should I Consider Doing Another Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I'm kind of worried about the shape of my nose. It's been almost 3 months since I had my Rhinoplasty. When I removed my cast, I thought my nose was nice, but few weeks after I found a bump in my nose, and that the nostrils are not symmetrical.. and I still think that my nose is huge ! I went to my doctor 1 months ago, and he told me that this is the swelling, and I should be patient, he even told me that I shouldn't be taking photographs now. I posted some pictures here...I hope you can help me.

Surgeon says it is not swelling, but I need a revision. Is this true?

After your Rhinoplasty

The nose can and will swell for a 6 to 9 month period after a Rhinoplasty. The majority of the swelling occurs during the first 3 to 4 months so give it more time.  Also, if you have thicker skin and an active lifestyle, this could lead to a prolonged time of swelling after a Rhinoplasty. Daily nasal massage beginning at 1 month can be done to decrease the nasal swelling.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

707 W Eau Gallie Blvd
Melbourne, FL 32935

Rhinoplasty - 3 months later

At three months after your rhinoplasty, the tip of your nose is still swollen. On the other hand, the swelling over the upper dorsum (the bridge) of the nose is fading fast. The result is an exaggeration of the swelling of your nasal tip.

Normally, tip swelling takes a year to resolve. Sometimes faster, and sometimes slower. The best course of treatment now is to wait it out. You cannot yet see the result of your surgery.

A second surgery, in the face of the swelling present at three months, will only increase your swelling. It will take longer (1-2 years) for the swelling to subside, and there is a risk of forming additional scar that may never fully resolve.

Allow your first surgery to fully heal before try to "fix" it. Your results are still waiting to be seen.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

130 La Casa Via
Walnut Creek, CA 94598

Considering a Revision 3 Months after Rhinoplasty

The only way we can help you is to recommend that you wait another 8-9 months before considering a revision and that you should continue to consult with your surgeon. Your nose will change as healing progresses.

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Do I need another rhinoplasty?

It's going to continue to change. Do not think about revisions at this time. Keep in touch with your surgeon and follow his advice and make sure you have realistic expectations.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

1515 North Flagler Dr.
West Palm Beach, FL 33401

3 Months Post Op Rhinoplasty

It is still premature to judge the results of the surgery. Continue to be patient, and continue your communication with your surgeon. Wait another nine to ten months before you consider a revision. Your nose will undergo further changes during this time period while you heal. If you are still unsure, please post another question with photos at that time. Good luck and best wishes for a good recovery.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

1501 Forest Hill Boulevard
West Palm Beach, FL 33406

3 Months Post Op Rhinoplasty. Is It the Swelling or Should I Consider Doing Another Rhinoplasty

Thank you for submitting your question. Swelling after a rhinoplasty, with tip work will last for a year. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and folow his advise.  Best wishes

Jeff Angobaldo, MD

5880 Ashmill Dr
Plano, TX 75024

Revision At 3 Months After Rhinoplasty

Dear Mr. Dia,

Three months post-surgery is not enough for the swelling to subside, your photographs tend to verify this fact.

I advise you to be a little more patient so you achieve full results. Only then that a full assessment of the outcome of the surgery could be analyzed.

In case a revision is to be considered, it cannot be performed with commendable results before you achieve complete recovery.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

496 Old Newport Blvd
Newport Beach, CA 92663

Too Early for Revision

Wait a year before deciding if a revision is necessary. Most men have thick skin over their nasal tip that needs many months to settle down and in some instances cannot be reduced further without risk of serious scarring and/or breathing problems.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

475 Biltmore Way
Coral Gables, FL 33134

In a nutshell: Wait 12 months after the original rhinoplasty for any revision work.  You need the healing time in order to obtain the best result!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

9834 Genesee Ave
La Jolla, CA 92037

3 Months Post Op Rhinoplasty. Is It the Swelling or Should I Consider Doing Another Rhinoplasty?

Posted photo are cut off and poorly done. But best is to allow at least 6 months of healing before even considering revision. 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143