2 Months Post-Op Rhinoplasty and Swelling

hey doctors im now exactly 8 weeks post op rhinoplasty and it seems i have a lot of swelling, but unfortunatly a lot of you have written in other people's answers that most of your swelling should be gone by now. i have thick skin and im really concerned my tip is really round, could you tell me how long is normal to have swelling and could this round shape tip be it? i look like a clown :( thank you all

Typical swelling time following Rhinoplasty

+7

If you read that most of the swelling, after Rhinoplasty, should be gone after 2 months...I could not disagree more.  In my 20 years experience performing Rhinoplasty, the nose can and does swell for a minimum of 6-9 months after a Rhinoplasty with the majority of the swelling during the first 3-4 months.  Thick skin and an active lifestyle will all lead to a prolonged time of swelling after a Rhinoplasty.  I instruct all my Rhinoplasty patients on how to perform daily nasal massage beginning at 1 month to decrease the nasal swelling.

Swelling with thick skin after rhinoplasty

+3

Swelling should be resolving by two months after rhinoplasty, however with very thick skin, results can take up to six to twelve months to allow the skin to shrink and contact around the new framework of the nose. Nothing to do now but be patient and wait it out.

peterejohnsonmd

Thick-Skinned Noses Will Get A Lot of Tip Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+3

Thick-skinned noses can really develop and keep a lot of swelling in the tip for a prolonger period of time. The key is whether you feel it is going down at all albeit very slowly. If there is no changes occurring, then you need to go back to your plastic surgeon and consider having some steroid injections into the tip to help the swelling go down and prevent excessive scar tissue forming.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Your tip is still swollen 2 months after your Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+2

I read your concern. Your tip will retain swelling the longest. The majority of post-surgical swelling of your bridge is likely gone now, but your tip will remain swollen for 6-12 months after your rhinoplasty Surgery.

You may want to ask your surgeon if a steroid injection might be helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+2

Everyone is different but in general most of the swelling is resolved in the first few months. However, in patients with thick skin it can take much longer to see the final result. I have had patients with thick skin continue to have changes well beyond a year after surgery.

David E. Kim, MD

Rhinoplasty swelling

+2

Swelling can persist for up to a year after rhinoplasty.  Albeit, most of the swelling should come down within 2-3 months. But this is patient specific.  It also depends upon the extent of work and yoru psot-op acitivity level.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+2

Dear Mona,

You are right, most of the swelling after rhinoplasty should be down by now, but for some people it may take up to 6 months.  Since you have thicker skin, it takes a little longer for the skin to redrape over the nasal skeleton.  If you still have a bulbous or broad tip at 2 months, I think it would be safe to get some kenalog (anti inflammatory steroid) injections to help speed up the healing process.  I would make an appointment with your surgeon and bring up these concerns. 

I think you'd be happier if you heard it from him/her, and get some steroid injections.

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Tip swelling takes time to decrease

+1
After rhinoplasty, tip shape is typically the last thing to settle before seeing the final result; this can take 12 months or longer. During this time you will notice that the size of your tip decreases as swelling resolves and subtle details and tip definition appear.

At 2 months following rhinoplasty, you are still very early in your recovery. With regards to your concerns about the size of your nasal tip, it is just too early to draw any conclusions-but certainly you still have a lot of swelling which is normal.

Recovery after rhinoplasty will vary based on the person, characteristics of the nasal tissues and what was done during surgery. It can take somewhere in and around 12-18 months to see the final results. The areas with thicker skin in the nose such as the tip, alar rims and radix will require longer to settle. Also there appears to be a linear decrease in swelling for the first several months followed by a period where the swelling fluctuates (sometimes little or no swelling and other times more swelling) before the nose settles.

It's hard but important to stay patient during your recovery and to be diligent attending your follow-up appointments with your surgeon.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

+1

You might still be swollen for upto a full year. But from your description you mught have residual cartilage. Only way to correct is a revision surgery. Sorry.