I Am 8 Months Post Op Open Rhinoplasty. My Tip is Not How I Wanted It? (photo)

I got open rhinoplasty on november 16th 2011, 8 months ago. Im 18 years old. My hump is gone but my tip is not how i wanted it. It is still wide and droopy.I cant even smile with my teeth because my nose looks huge. It looks like I didnt even have anything done to it. Does the tip being hard have anything to do with it ? does it mean its swollen and it will go down? should i be completely discouraged? any advice?

Still Swollen

+3

It takes 12-18 months for the swelling to leave the tip in a nose like yours with thick skin and large cartilages.  It will get softer and it will get a bit smaller.  I would not consider doing anything more for another year.  Hard to be patient, but you need to be. 

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

If your tip is still firm after Rhinoplasty Surgery, it's still swollen and may improve.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos:

Your nose is a bit on the large side, but you do not have any stigmata of poorly performed nose job surgery. We could all provide better advice if you post before-photos so we could see what was achieved.

If you're unhappy with your appearance, you may benefit from a second opinion from another experienced, reputable rhinoplasty specialist near you.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hello. At this point the tip of your nose is still. You can increase the rotation and projection of your nose but you should until the healing process finishes after one year. If you are still unhappy with your results then, meet with your board certified plastic surgeon to discuss revision surgery.

Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

8 Months

+1

Yes, in 4 months you may undergo Revision Open Rhinoplasty to improve your nasal tip and work toward achieving your cosmetic goals!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

I Am 8 Months Post Op Open Rhinoplasty. My Tip is Not How I Wanted It?

+1

Thanks for the questions and posting the after photos. But a before photo would help. This is one of the complications of the open approach - extended swelling in the tip area and columella. But it could also be inadequate correction of the anatomic issues. Unless your before photos were much different ir appears to me as a minimal improvement in all areas. Sorry but a revision is the next step or learn to accept the result. Return to your chosen surgeon to discuss or seek second opinions in person. 

+1

Very commonly we fail to really drive home to patients pre operatively how thickness of the skin can affect your outcome. Matching a patients desires with reality is so difficult. Yes you need to give your tip time to continue to soften and settle down but you really need to seek out a skilled nose surgeon because it sounds like the changes you want in your tip will not occur with more time. I would not touch it right now, but someday it sounds like to get what you are looking for you will need more tip work. Make absolutely sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page with what your vision is, and what is actually possible. I always say the most important part of these delicate operations is managing a patients expectations pre operatively! Communication is key here. Meet with your net surgeon 4-5 times to make sure you two are together on this. It is an investment.

Richard J. Brown, MD

8 months after rhinoplasty

+1

After 8 months most of your swelling should have improved..but not all.  Give it some more time before considering a revision. Remember, skin thickness will impact tip refinement and some tip width as well.

Unsatisfactory rhinoplasty.

+1

After 8 months the tip will still get slightly smaller but I do not think you will be happy for the reasons you mentioned. The length will not get shorter and the bridge will probably still be too high. See a very experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon for an opinion.

Post rhinoplasty

+1

You still have swelling in your nose.  I would not consider any revision for at least a year if not longer to allow swelling to resolve.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Sureon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Wide droopy nose after rhinoplasty 8 months ago

+1

I would expect some further decrease to your tip swelling at this stage. It takes about a year for the swelling and stiffness you describe to resolve. The droopiness you're concerned about may not change at this point but I'd still recommend waiting for things to stabilize before contiplating any revision rhinoplasty surgery.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD