Almost 3 Months Post Op and Nose Still Has Bump on Bridge? Worried

I had a revision rhinoplasty in the beg of april. I had my bridge shaved down a bit and some of my tip reduced. My nose still looks humpy? I am worried, as I do not see any difference from the before I had surgery with the hump. Is this still swelling or should this be already gone? I can still feel some fluid on the bridge and the doctor told me to push down a couple times a day to help with swelling but, I am seeing no difference! This is very upsetting to me that I am seeing this like before.

Bump remains 3 months after Rhinoplasty

+1

I have perormed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and it could be either issue.  Either there's some residual swelling that's causing the illusion of the bump...or there's still a bump there.  IMHO, this is how to tell the difference.

Gently press the skin down, over the bump on the nose, and if:

1. The bump goes down or away with gentle sustained pressure after a minute or so, the bump is residual swelling.
  2. If however, the bump doesn't go away completely, or not at all....IMHO, the bump is truly still there.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Hump after Rhinoplasty

+1

Although it is difficult to tell from one picture, it does appear that you may have a persistent hump despite your rhinoplasty.  At this stage it is possible that it may be from swelling, but based on your picture, I would be surprised if this was all do to swelling.  Be patient for another 3 months.  If by that time it has not resolved I would definitely recommend a frank discussion with your surgeon about this.  It can take up to 12 months for all swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty, but  by six months enough of the swelling should be resolved to get a reasonable idea about where your nose will ultimately end up. If your surgeon is not responsive, then I would recommend getting other opinions with experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeons.  Make sure they perform at least 100 rhinoplasty procedures per year.  Good luck.

Adam D. Stein, MD
Raleigh-Durham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Persistent Bump 3 Months after Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

This bump may still resolve over the next 3-6 months. It is difficult to make recommendations on the basis of one picture, but if you'er not ultimately satisfied consider placement of a small radix graft (at the top of your bridge) instead of lowering the dorsum. Hopefully, a revision will not be necessary.

Revisiopn Rhinoplasty and persistent swelling

+1

Three months after a revising rhinoplasty persistent swelling can still be present. Sometimes an injection of a dilute concentration of a steroid (triamcinolone acetonide) into the swollen area can speed up resolution of the swelling. Keep in close contact with your surgeon and try to be patient.

Russell W. H. Kridel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

3 months post-op

+1

Although three months post surgery is still very early for you to judge the results of your surgery - at least part of the bump will likely persist at 1 year.   Hang in there and follow up with your surgeon.

Sam Naficy, MD

Secondary rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling after secondary rhinoplasty will last longer than usual. Discuss with your doctor the possibility of using the external nasal splint , or taping the dorsum. That may help with the swelling. Be patient 6-12 months for the final results.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

swelling of the nose(especially if an open technique was used) can last easily 6 months. Wait 3 more months before  making a final determination.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon