I'm 3 Months Post Op & my Right Breast Implant Feels Foreign. Is That Normal? (photo)

R side feels foreign. I got 400cc saline on L & 425cc on R. Satisfied on how they look, but It doesn't "feel" normal. Especially when it's cold, or I'm using chest muscles. Feels like R implant is high & in armpit. Also, I can see rippling (more on R) when bent over. I just discovered that I can push my implant upward & it slowly drops down as if it's trying to make it's way into it's pocket. I'm 3 mon. post op. How long does it take for them to feel normal & what can be done about rippling?

Saline Breast Augmentation

+1

You look great.  Many women feel aware of their implants after surgery.  That sensation usually goes away with time but it is different for everyone.  I always tell my patients that the two breasts don't know about each other so sensations felt in one are ok if they aren't felt in the other.  Saline implants can have rippling on the side or on the bottom.  This doesn't usually happen with silicone implants.  Good luck!  K. Roxanne Grawe, MD Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

I'm 3 Months Post Op & my Right Breast Implant Feels Foreign. Is That Normal

+1

You were asymmetrical prior to surgery and you had different size implants to account for this problem.  After surgery you will feel different sensations for a while and then this will usually abate.  Rippling is seen more with saline implants rather than silicone implants. Things should settle down with time.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant asymmetry

+1

It is quite normal for your breasts to feel different for at least six months after surgery. You were asymmetric before surgery so a larger implant was placed into the smaller breast. This gives it a tighter and higher appearance for at least a few months. It would be best to go back and see your surgeon to be sure there is no capsular contracture happening. He will be able to determine the cause of the implant being a bit higher on the right side. Good luck!

William LoVerme, MD

+1

You must understand you were asymmetric pre operatively. So the different sizing and shape of the breast become more apparent after an in crease. Best to discuss in person with your surgeon so minor adjustments might be done. 

Sensation in breast

+1

Breast sensory changes may occur with surgery and over time they usually get better. Saline implants tend to be more palpable. Rippling can be a problem with thin soft tissue coverage.  Best to be seen in person.

How long does it take for implants to feel normal?

+1

It can take 6-12 months for implants to feel like they are part of you. Some patients may feel their implant longer for different reasons (capsular contracture, very thin breast tissue, implants that displace a lot when the chest muscle is flexed due to a stretched out capsule). The larger your implants, the more likely you may encounter some of these problems.

Silicone implants have less rippling than saline implants. Also grafts like Alloderm or Strattice (and many other brands) can help support the implant and thicken the soft tissue coverage to minimize rippling.

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Rippling with saline breast implants

+1

thanks for your question.  With regards to the feel of the breast.  If you have very little breast tissue and go relatively large such as 400 and 425 cc you may have more rippling than if you were to go smaller.  The type of saline implants that are used is also very critical with regards to ripple potential.  Moderate profile saline implants ripple a lot so I do not use these type of implants in my patients that are thin.  High profile saline implants ripple much less than their moderate counterparts but at the expense of a narrow base.  So if close cleavage is important and you have a wide nipple to nipple distance these saline implants may not be good for you.  Your breasts look like the implants are above the muscle.  Implants placed above the muscle will tend to show more rippling compared to submuscular placement.  If you wish to have less rippling a proper silicone implant is much better.  Silicone implants can ripple too so ask your plastic surgeon to show you each implant before you chose.  Certain brands of implants have more side rippling and others have more vertical rippling.  Implants that are more filled have less vertical rippling such as the Mentor MP+ but have some side rippling.  Allergan style 15 have less side rippling but are underfilled and have more vertical rippling.  Usually HP silicone implants have less side rippling and less vertical rippling.  The use of acellular dermal matrix ADM will reduce the rippling but they are very expensive usually $2000 per side depending on the type used.  Fat grafting can be an option but may be very challenging in very thin skinned individuals. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

3 Months after Breast Implants Feeling Foreign and Rippling

+1

3 months after breast implants there may be some residual nerve regeneration that should help the breasts feel more normal over time.  With regard to rippling, silicone does have less rippling that saline.  However, fat grafting and dermal matrices can produce a layer of camouflage for implant rippling.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA