5 months post op will my nose improve in definition and size reduction? Is any swelling present? (photo)

Hello. In a few days I will be 5 months post op (open rhino with rib graft to narrow bridge and tip and alar base reduction) I would like to know how far does my nose seem to be in terms of percentage of healing and swelling. My nose is quite bulky especially in the morning and I often have to drink green tea and massage for it to look even mildly decent. The tip is softening slightly but can fluctuate and become rock hard at times.

Swelling Following Rhinoplasty

+1

You had a significant surgical procedure and it would be typical for there to still be swelling at 5 months post op. It can take up to a year for the area to fully recover. It is impossible to give a percentage of recovery based on photos. The feel of your nose and amount of swelling will most likely continue to fluctuate over the coming months. Try to be patient and talk to your doctor if you still have concerns regarding your healing process. Good luck.

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

5 months post op will my nose improve in definition and size reduction? Is any swelling present?

+1

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.

Edema 5 months post-op rhinoplasty

+1

Following an open rhinoplasty, edema persists for at least one year or longer. Residual edema settles in the tip of the nose, therefore it is not unusual for you to describe the fluctuation at the tip. The majority of swelling usually resolves around three months but it may take many more months to have total resolution. Your post-operative picture looks fabulous. Hang in there. It just takes time.

Nana Mizuguchi, MD