Should I Use the Same Surgeon for Revision Septorhinoplasty or Get a Second Opinion? (Photos)

I am 6 months post-op from septorhinoplasty. I was wondering if I should still use the same surgeon for revision or second opinion. I believe he specializes in facial plastic surgery or otolaryngology. If you go to the same surgeon to fix issues do you still get charged the same as another plastic surgeon? It was an open rhinoplasty/septoplasty and my insurance covered it in full. Now what are my options?

Should I Use the Same Surgeon for Revision Septorhinoplasty or Get a Second Opinion?

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and this is always a difficult and complicated question to answer.  IMHO, if you still have faith in your prior Rhinoplasty surgeon, then by all means you should discuss revision Rhinoplasty with him/her.  

Having said that I do think it a good idea for you to get a clear picture of what will be planned during the Revision Rhinoplasty that's going to ensure a different outcome than what was done in the initial Rhinoplasty.  The nose is stiill twisted and would most likely require repeat medial and lateral osteotomies as well as work to re-shape an thin the nasal tip.

IMO, insurance would not cover any of the Revision Rhinoplasty and price should not be a deciding factor in how anyone chooses their Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon for any procedure, Rhinoplasty included.

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

If you have a good rapport and trust with your surgeon then follow his or her advice. There is no harm in getting another opinion. I would not expect to have any insurance coverage for further cosmetic work.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Always go back, at least once.

+1

Your primary surgeon should be committed to making sure that you are happy with your result, or at least that you have had optimal imprpovement.  If you are dissatisifed with his or her approach, or have lost confidence, then seek a second opinion.

Mark D. Wigod, MD
Boise Plastic Surgeon