8 Months Post Op from Extended Tummy and I Still Have a Large Muffin Top. Is This Normal? (photo)

I am 40 yrs old, 5ft 7 142 lbs... I had an extended tummy tuck 8 months ago and although it is much better, I still have a large muffin top. I eat clean and workout at the gym 4-5 days a week.. when I asked my Dr. he said that I was not going to have a stomach like an 18 year old.. I know I have abs under there as I can feel them, I just cant see them...I am just wondering if this is normal or if my results are just poor? Thank you!

Lateral fat following an abdominoplasty

+3

You may have some extra fat on the lateral sides of your abdomen following your abdominoplasty.  If you are at a stable weight then liposuction may be an alternative otherwise you may consider weight loss.  

Satisfactory result after abdominoplasty.

+2

There may be some subsequent improvement with time but all in all the result looks fine to me. If you want to see the definition of the abdominal wall muscles you have to lose some subcutaneous fat in that area.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,21-atlanta-abdominoplast.htm

8 Months Post Op from Extended Tummy and I Still Have a Large Muffin Top. Is This Normal?

+2

Unfortunately you did not post a before photo so we could compare the outcome. It seems as if you had a very acceptable result and your realistic expectations were not reached. 

Fullness can be normal after surgery

+2

Thanks for your ? and pic. Two things produce fullness- excess fat and skin bunching. Although a large amount of skin might have been removed along with the underlying fat, the skin cannot often maintain its "taught" nature. It might not be able to stretch and then snap back. You can't pull things too tightly or it will not heal well.

+2

You appear to have a normal tummy tuck but with some residual fat which is causing your problem with the muffin top. You can't remove all of the fat during a tummy tuck so this can happen. You will do well with a liposuction of this area and it should get rid of the extra fat and give you more of a waist.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Muffin top after a tummy tuck

+2

Hi CameoMS.  I do not think you have a poor result.  However, it is hard to comment on your results without seeing preoperative pictures.  A tummy tuck will tighten your abdominal wall and remove excess skin and fat.  It will make your abdominal contour flatter, but not necessarily leave you will well-defined abs.  I suggest you continue with your good diet and exercise habits and try to reduce the fatty layer that remains.  If you are still unhappy, you should see your plastic surgeon to discuss other options like liposuction.  Good luck.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

+2

If you look to the right of your screen under "featured doctors" you will (probably) see properly posed photos from before and after surgery which would be helpful before commenting on the outcome. I just cannot tell enough from the photos as posted. 

All the best.