I Am 5 Months Post Op Facelift and Belphoraplasty?

At 3 months I noticed shadows developing on my face. Shadows appeared under my eyes to the top of my cheek bones. There is still swelling under my left eye with what appears to be a one inch dent at the outer corner of my left eye. I also have a half in wide shadow that runs from the corner of my mouth to my cheek (both sides of the face). Whats going on and will this resolve itself.

Post facelift contours

+2

Without a photograph it is difficult to say exactly what the problem is.  From your description, it sounds like some of the concerns may be amenable to treatment with volume augmentation such as fat transfer or injectable fillers.  I recommend speaking with your surgeon to discuss your concerns.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shadows on Face after Facelift and Eyelid Surgery

+1

The shadows are likely volume deficient areas on the face.  These can be filled with fat or filler.  Some people who perform facelifts inject fat during a facelift or these procedures can be performed separately.

Post Facelift Healing

+1

The problems that you're describing need to be evaluated in person, as it is difficult to pinpoint a problem. This is typically not normal, and I advise that you schedule an appointment with your plastic surgeon or seek a second opinion. 

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Appearance of shadows following facelift and blepharoplasty

+1

Sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing following surgery. In general, the side effects of a facelift may include:

1) Swelling
2) Bruising
3) Temporary numbness
4) Nerve injury that is usually temporary but can sometimes be permanent

Blepharoplasty has potential side effects as well, which may include the following:

1) Moderate pain
2) Swelling
3) Mild scarring
4) Drooping of the eyelid
5) Dryness of the eyes
6) Difficulty keeping the eyes closed while sleeping
7) Hematoma

It is difficult to give you any advice without seeing you in person. It is possible that the shadowing is caused by malpositioned fat. At this point, I would recommend speaking with your surgeon, as he/she knows the details of your procedure and will be able to provide you with the best advice.  Thanks and I hope this helps!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial contour after a facelift

+1

Indented areas happen around the eyes as we age. This is due to loss of volume exposing the bony rim of the eyes causing relative indentation.  The shadow on the cheek is also due to loss of volume with time that result in a groove extending from the inner eye area to the outer cheek around the mouth.  You did not appreciate it early on due to the post-surgical swelling that made the face full and youthful.  Most facelifts if not combined with a midface lift or fat grafting, do not correct these depressed areas.  But they do improve the overall look.  I am sure you look very youthful especially around the jawline and the neck from the surgery.  Once the swelling is settled and healing completed, you will be happy. 

Seung K. Kim, MD