Nose Tip Is Numb And Drooping 2 Months Post-Op, Should I Have Concerns?

Its been 2 months post op rhinoplasty, my nose used to have a small hump witha very big fat bulbous tip. now the hump is a little gone , I can see it a little from certain angles, but the tip is a tad bit slimmer not as small as I would have liked it and it seems like its drooping down?? I still feel a tingling sensation on the tip everyonce in a while and where he made the incision is still numb.. Im begining to panic! again ... Im considering another nose job!, should i be worried??????

Numbness after rhinoplasty

+1
In general, almost all noses are numb right after a rhinoplasty. In most cases its the tip that is numb, but this numbness can extend down to the upper lip, and in rare cases some of the teeth. There are nerves that are cut and stretched during a rhinoplasty, and it takes a long time for those nerves to start working again. This is true of an open as well as closed rhinoplasty, although it tends to be more extensive in open rhinoplasty. This could also be more extensive if a septoplasty is performed at the same time. This, along with the swelling, gives you a stiff, plastic type feel, and can give you an odd smile. However, the nerves will start working and again, and your nose stiffness will go away with time. As the nerves grow back, you may feel some tingling, itchiness and on occasion pain. This takes in most cases months, but can take years in rare cases. Extremely rarely, the numbness is permanent, although I have never seen such as case.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Early Rhinoplasty Changes

+1

I would not be worried.  You likley have a significant amount of edema and swelling in conjunction with some sensory changes.   This should resolve in the upcoming weeks to months.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Tip Numbness following Rhino

+1

Wait until 6 months after the surgery. If the tip is still droopy, it may require a tip graft to lift the tip up. Waiting is important to ensure you know what the healed nose will look like.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Numb, Drooping Tip 2 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

When a patient has a bulbous tip with thick skin, it takes at least a year to see the final result. I would not expect  the patient or surgeon to be satisfied 2 months after surgery. The numbness and tingling will resolve as healing progresses. Don't panic!

Rhinopalsty early results

+1

At two months you are a bit early to get too worried. The numbness of the tip usually gets better with time.  As for the tip dropping, it is common to lose some projection with time, but usually you do not lose too much.  At two months it is a waiting game. If you have concerns, I would recommend seeing your surgeon.

Drooping tip after rhinoplasty

+1

You are very early in the healing cycle. Numbness, tingling and other sensations are common in the tip but, will clear with time. The residual tip may also resolve but, i would be cocerned about drooping of the tip. In any case it is too soon for any secondary work

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Multiple issues with nose 2 months after Rhinoplasty

+1

IMHO, after performing Rhinoplasty for well over 20 years, you're panicking a bit prematurely.  The tingling sensation is normal as is the localised numbness at the incision sites and these should resolve within 4-6 months after the Rhinoplasty.

Post Rhinoplasty swelling can make the hump reappear and it takes several months for the swelling and the skin to shrink down around the smaller nasal skeleton.  Same for swelling in the tip and supra-tip that would make the tip appear like it's drooping.

Have a post Rhinoplasty visit with the Rhinoplasty surgeon and ask if he can teach you a manual lymphatic drainage technique to press swelling out of the nose.  I have all of my Rhinoplasty patients do this, once a day, for 6-12 months startinmg 1 month after their Rhinoplasty.  This allows the shape, of the nose, to be seen quicker and prevents excess scar from forming secondary to chronic tissue swelling.

No need to start thinking Revision Rhinoplasty just yet...wait 4 months more or so unti you see the final result.  Hope this helps.

Droopy tip

+1

Dear missponce:

You have a very complex question, and I am afraid that any answers will fall short of addressing your particular issue unless photos are provided.

The thickness of your skin, the point at which you are from surgery and the healing you have a head of you may give the appearance of a nose that will be different in several months from now if the inly issue is the swelling.

Although swelling may account for your concerns, submitting photos may reveal if the issues you are concerned are not related to swelling.

Michel SIegel, MD

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty after 2 months.

+1

The nose changes over 1 year so don't be concerned. At 1 year if there are things you feel are not agreeable to you discuss this with your surgeon or get a 2nd opinion.

Numbness after 2 months is normal

+1

It is very normal to have numbness of the tip at 2 months - in general it is a good idea to wait about one year before seeking a revision.  There are a number of good reasons for this which your surgeon can discuss with you.

Sam Naficy, MD