How Many Months Post Op Until I Can Get my Dog Ear Revised? (photo)

Hi! I had my tummy tuck on 4/8/11. I am almost 7 months post op. Although I am very happy with my results, I am left with a dog ear on my right side which shows when I wear my bathing suit. My doctor told me he would like to fix it in the spring, which would bring me to almost a year post op. My question is, how long do most of you wait until you perform a dog ear revision? Thank you for your answers!

Dog ear revision after tummy tuck

+2

It is reasonable to wait at least six months to repair a "dog ear" from a tummy tuck. In your case it appears as though it may just need liposuction to improve the contour. Your surgeon may not want to do it until it's been closer to one full year-which is also very reasonable. You should trust your surgeon and follow up with him or her at your scheduled intervals.

Dr.Bruno

Web reference: http://www.williambrunomd.com

Timing of dog ear correction

+2
Hello, There is no specific time that one has to wait. The longer you wait the greater the chance that it will improve on its own. If it bothers you and you don't want to wait, then it should probably get done. All the best, Dr Repta

Web reference: http://aaaplasticsurgery.com

Dog ear revsisions

+2

6 months should be adequate to determine if a dog ear revision needs to be performed. There is no reason in my opinion to wait longer if a patient is unhappy. The photograph provided, on the other hand, is more suggestive of residual adipose tissue that might be better improved with touch up liposuction. I hope you do well.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

+2

in my practice I revise very early, why let you be unhappy, like at 3 months. It is a very personal surgeon's decision. But a year is much too long. 

Dog ear correction after tummy tuck

+2

Hi

I would recommend waiting for at least six months (or longer if the scars are still settling). The correct time for any scar revision surgery is the scar is fully settled with no further changes, whenever that time is. A bit of delay is unlikely to cause any harm - some patients even change their minds if the problem disappears/diminishes while waiting. 

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Dogear revision after tummy tuck

+2

Usually six months is adequate time to allow before dogear revision.  You should be good to go by now.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

“Dog Ear” Revision After Tummy Tuck

+2

If you wait long enough most dog ears disappear. It takes 6-12 months. Patience may allow you to avoid a surgical procedure.

Dog ear excision after tummy tuck

+2

A dog ear can be removed a few months after surgery when all of your swelling has gone down and it is clear that it is not going to go away on its own. Six months in generally plenty of time for that to happen. You should be able to have it done at any time.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

How long before fixing a dog ear?

+2

I think that any time after 6 months is probably ok to fix a dog ear. it depends on your own healing though and how much swelling might still be present. Check with your surgeon.

Dog ear treatment usually 6 months to a year postoperatively

+2

I typically wait a minimum of 6 months and more often, closer to a year before addressing a dog ear. Multiple factors go into that decision so each one must be individualized. Some smaller dog ears seen early on, may just resolve on their own given enough time for swelling to subside though this is the minority of the time.

Your doctor's approach is quite reasonable though you could try to coax him to possibly do this slightly earlier so you can have some flexibility for the spring weather.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com