9 Months Post Op Closed Rhinoplasty, Swelling on Tip of Nose Has Still Not Subsided?

I had closed rhinoplasty almost 9 months ago, the hump on my nose was removed and the tip was reduced. My nose looked perfect when the cast came off but it swelled up completely and till now the swelling has not subsided. The tip of my nose dropped and when i smile it looks awful. When i touch the tip it feels spongy and very greasy overall (i think i have thick skin) When will the swelling subside and the tip rise up again and not bend down when im smiling?

Rhinoplasty after nine months with prolonged swelling of the tip.

+1

Rhinoplasty after nine months with prolonged swelling of the tip along with drooping of the tip will probably not resolve. This will probably need a revision and you should see a very experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon.

Post op supratip swelling

+1

9 months of swelling of the tip area after a closed rhinoplasty isn't unheard of. Especially if you have thick oily skin associated with rosacea. I handle patients who have prolonged tip/supratip swelling by having the patient tape their supratip at night, massage the area and in more difficult cases I inject the area with Kenalog. Usually I start this regime at around the 3-6 month post op time period although starting it now is better than not at all. The vast majority of the time these conservative measures will resolve the issue. As far as your tip rotating when you smile, I suspect this is unrelated. To solve this your surgeon needs to cut the muscles attaching at the nasal spine area. This can be done later however. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling postop

+1

Generally, swelling postop should not last more than 2-3 months.  The changes you see at 9 months may be stable at this point.   Photos would be useful to better understand your situation.  Best wishes, Dr. T

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon